Arrrgh! Broke a stem!
Dec 18, 2009 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

billybob_jcv

Headphoneus Supremus
10 minutes into the outbound leg of a 4 hour plane flight I broke the stem on my trusty Westone UM-1. Luckily, I had my old EP630 in my briefcase for back-up to get through the trip.

I really can't complain, I have had the UM1 for 3+ years and I bought them used off head-fi. I treated them fairly rough - daily use on long commutes, thrown in my bag, my car, my pocket, etc. I have no doubt MANY other IEMs would never have lasted this long.

So, I need something new. I'm really not asking for suggestions - I've been here plenty long enough to know I need to do my own research and make my own decision. I think the first decision I have to make is whether I want another Westone, or if I want to try something else. I'm way too cheap to buy several and then resell what I don't like, and I'm not much of a trader - so I need to live with my decision for a while.

Merry Xmas to me!

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 11
sorry to hear about your loss

as for your next purchase...JH13 Pro tbh
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 11
Well, that didn't take long - I pulled the trigger on the Ety HF5. I want excellent isolation & good comfort for my commuting and business trips, and I do enjoy clarity and definition in my listening. If I could have found the Klipsch X5 at the past sale price, I might have gone that way, but at the current prices, no thanks. I also considered the Klipsch S4, but I just thought the HF5 at the Amazon price offered a better value.

In the end, I decided I would regret not trying something new. If I had gone for another pair of UM1, I would still be wondering what I might be missing. This way, if I don't like the HF5 as much as my UM1, at least I will *know* what I am missing!
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 11
nice
smily_headphones1.gif
the HF5's are very good. I found them comfortable as anything but I was using the klipsch ovals. But nice choice
icon14.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 11
Just as a follow-up - I received the HF5 yesterday - very quick shipping by Amazon! I used them on my daily 1.5 hour (each way) train commute. They sound good - about what I expected - much more detailed than the UM1, and the bass is accurate. I put some comply tips from the UM1 on them and they are very comfortable.

One thing I did NOT like was the increased microphonics compared to the UM1. That is going to take some getting used to. The cable on the UM1 was just about perfect - not too stiff, not too rubbery and no microphonics. I tried wearing the HF5 over my ear, but I couldn't get the right ear to stay put. I have some ear cable guides somewhere - maybe I'll try those again. The microphonics are also probably a little worse because I'm wearing a jacket in the cool weather and the zipper is rubbing against the cable.

Dec 25, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 11
HF-5 sound good indeed however a PFE has far less microphonic yet very clean sound. but you already make your purchase. I am sure you will enjoy every bit of Hf5. merry Christmas.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 11
Try putting the cables over your ears. I've never tried the HF5 and, from pictures, it looks like the cable isn't designed to go over your ears. My im716 and Klipsch X5 are not designed to put the cables over your ears, but I manage to do it. The X5 in particular has horrible microphonics if I don't. There pretty much unlistenable to me when I wear them with the cables down.

BTW, how did you break the stem on you UM1?

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try putting the cables over your ears. I've never tried the HF5 and, from pictures, it looks like the cable isn't designed to go over your ears. My im716 and Klipsch X5 are not designed to put the cables over your ears, but I manage to do it. The X5 in particular has horrible microphonics if I don't. There pretty much unlistenable to me when I wear them with the cables down.

BTW, how did you break the stem on you UM1?

I'm not sure how I broke it, but probably just by rough handling. I travel a lot, and when I go through airport security, I throw all my electronics in my briefcase and they get bashed around. I'm not gentle on my gear!

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 11
try a bit of epoxy resin - plastic version obviously. I did my Ultrasone HFI-15g's with the stuff, and they're solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back