around RM1000 in ears..... (Monster Turbine / UE 700 / Superfi 5vi / Klipsch custom 3)
Aug 29, 2010 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HanSun

New Head-Fier
i live in malaysia and im planning to get a second pair of in ears............   

bass and mid and noise isolation are important......    

i just want to hear peoples thoughts on these few iems......

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 4
HanSun,  I currently own the UE700s and Custom 3s, and had the Monster Turbines for a day before I returned them.  Unfortunately, I've not heard the SuperFi 5vi, so I won't be able to assist you on those:

1) Moster Turbine: These sounded very smooth.  But they were really bass monsters and didn't have the treble response I need in a IEM, so I returned them.  Others said I should have given them more time to burn-in, but their sound signature would have needed to changed very significantly for me to enjoy them.  The Golds or Coppers have a much superior high extension.  Using the Golds and Coppers as a reference, the Turbines don't have the isolation of the UE700 or Custom 3s, though they are pretty good compared to the IE8s.

2) UE700:  These are not bass monsters.  The bass is present, but it is not visceral, it doesn't produce any sort of pounding in the ears.  From the bass standpoint, the Super.Fi 5 Pros (not the vi's) are superior to the UE700s.  However, the overall balance of the UE700s is good.  The bass is more present than in IEMs such as the Etymotics ER4s.  The microphonics on the UE700s are great, and they are very unobtrusive.

3) Custom 3s:  The Custom 3s have a very nice, smooth sound signature.  The sound stage is large, the bass quite present, and the high extension seems just right.  The mids are nice and smooth.  These have superior sound quality to the UE700s and Monster Turbines.  However, they have a major drawback: Microphonics.  On my set, the cord continuously transmits bumps, thuds, and scraping sounds into the music.  As a result, I don't use them much.

If bass were not one of your prime considerations, the UE700s would be the prime choice.  Since bass is a concern, perhaps you should look at the Monster Turbine Coppers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back