Aroma audio product impressions.
May 16, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #46 of 1,869
IMHO I think before sending review units, or starting review tours, it'd be better for the Aroma company to expand the availability/reachability of their products to many more distributors. Because in my experience, they are very hard to find. There are only two places I've found to sell them; Fujiya-Avic, and e-Earphone in Japan. Perhaps it is the company's priority to serve the local market, so I cannot say much for them to expand abroad. But I think many people would be interested.

I've heard and was pretty impressed by their more affordable Witch Girl S, and Pro. Overall sound quality is very good. For the dynamic driver, it reaches quite deep, and sounds very satisfying. The build/design also looks very cool.

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #48 of 1,869
Guess what I just got...

IMG_20170521_163857 - Copie.jpg
IMG_20170521_172044 - Copie.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #49 of 1,869
May 21, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #50 of 1,869
I never heard of Aroma Audio until i saw your FB post an hour ago and googled to this thread, Mi :wink:
I had briefly heard their two other models and heard a lot of good, so curious about this one. Will of course let you guys know more when I have listened more ! But sounds promising :D

May 21, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #51 of 1,869
I had briefly heard their two other models and heard a lot of good, so curious about this one. Will of course let you guys know more when I have listened more ! But sounds promising :D

9740758_l.jpg

Expect great things from it. It is pretty amazing. I almost bought one the :D

It's beautiful nonetheless:
https://postimg.org/gallery/dv264t6g/

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #52 of 1,869
Some feedback I gave on Facebook on the W12, with comparisons to SE5 Ultimate and S-EM9.

A first detailed feed back on the Aroma Audio Witch Girl W12. I will comment on how it compares to how it compares to my reference, the Spiral Ears SE5 Ultimate, driving them both balanced out of my Sony WM1Z.

First of all, the W12 has nice build and good fit, I get a really nice isolation from this universal. It requires quite some tip rolling but then all universals do.

In terms of build I have two comments : the pin holes are a bit large, so cable will be a bit lose, even the stock cable. I find the stock cable to be great quality when compared to other TOTL iems, I just with the jack and especially the splitter seemed less cheap.

Now for sound. I don't think the W12 aims at being reference, but more musical and engaging with high technical performs. In my opinion, it clearly succeeds in doing so.

The strongest characteristic of this iem if the great depth and fleshiness of sound. The bass, which is clearly north of neutral, echoes and rumbles in a very visceral manner, It has a nice texture.

Overall presentation is very different from the SE5. It has more depth than width, whereas the SE5 is wider and airier. Bass and mids seem to overlap width wise. but are clearly separated from a width perspective, with vocals more upfront than the SE5. However the vocals, while being more upfront, seem to be less linear and clear than on the SE5. This separation which is more oriented on depth and layering than width makes the music very lively, but can create some confusion / fuzziness around the center of the stage on complex tracks. Just to be clear, this iem still performs at a very high level, so this is comparing between TOTL. I just feel that things are delineated in a better way around the mids on the SE5.

I don't have much to say about the highs. but once again I am not a trebble head. They seem to have the right level of sparkle and air without being peaky. The SE5 will be maybe slightly more refined in this area, but the W12 might have more note weight, making the music more fleshed out.

Overall, a very enjoyable and competent iem, I am really looking forward to compare side by side with the VE8, because from memory, they seem to share a much closer personality than with the SE5.

18671109_10154836930248037_6114053963057756939_n.jpg

Round two of comparisons, Aroma Audio W12 with my S-EM9. Man do these have a different presentation ! When switching from one to the other, you feel like you are listening to different songs.
First of all, I haven't noted that the W12 is very sensitive. In terms of sensitivity, W12 is more sensitive than S-EM9 and way more sensitive than SE5 Ultimate.
The key difference that strikes is clearly presentation of the music, the W12 is clearly more upfront and aggressive, but mids are more distant than on S-EM9 (which is slightly mid forward). On the S-EM9, mids are clear and detailed, less clear on the W12, b
ecause of their very special presentation, the mids have some sort of echo / halllow around them, it is hard to explain. It makes them quite emotional, but less transparent.
However, I think most of this comes from the stage. The W12 stage is clearly built on depth, with the vocals more at the back, and the bass line more at the front. They are clearly separated, but more in terms of depth, not really width wise. In comparison, the S-EM9 sounds more stereo, with a clear width axis separation.
Overall, the S-EM9 is delicate, clear, a bit thinner, less deep. The W12 is deep, less wide and clear, more aggressive, with more rumbly bass, more thickness. The presentation is flatter or slightly W shaped on the S-EM9 and more V shaped on the W12, but a quite narrow V.
In terms of source, I think maybe the Mojo will be a good compromise, as the W12 will sound a bit too thick on the WM1Z and a bit too deep on the LPG.
My conclusion on the W12 at this stage it that it is a very interesting iem, but that I don't fully grasp yet (so not a conclusion really). It is powerful and emotional, detailed and with a crazy depth of sound, but at the same time takes a very particular approach to sound. Besides, the issue, as with many V shaped iems, is that you crank up the sound to get clearer mids and then bass might be overwhelming on modern music. Does it sound "right"? I am not sure, it certainly doesn't sound like the SE5 Ultimate or the S-EM9. It maybe be more engaging and lifelike, but sometimes more tiring and less refined. If I still have this demo when I receive my VE8, I will clearly want to compare.

Thanks again Cheung Fai Tsang.

IMG_20170527_095902.png

May 27, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #53 of 1,869
Some feedback I gave on Facebook on the W12, with comparisons to SE5 Ultimate and S-EM9.

A first detailed feed back on the Aroma Audio Witch Girl W12. I will comment on how it compares to how it compares to my reference, the Spiral Ears SE5 Ultimate, driving them both balanced out of my Sony WM1Z.

First of all, the W12 has nice build and good fit, I get a really nice isolation from this universal. It requires quite some tip rolling but then all universals do.

In terms of build I have two comments : the pin holes are a bit large, so cable will be a bit lose, even the stock cable. I find the stock cable to be great quality when compared to other TOTL iems, I just with the jack and especially the splitter seemed less cheap.

Now for sound. I don't think the W12 aims at being reference, but more musical and engaging with high technical performs. In my opinion, it clearly succeeds in doing so.

The strongest characteristic of this iem if the great depth and fleshiness of sound. The bass, which is clearly north of neutral, echoes and rumbles in a very visceral manner, It has a nice texture.

Overall presentation is very different from the SE5. It has more depth than width, whereas the SE5 is wider and airier. Bass and mids seem to overlap width wise. but are clearly separated from a width perspective, with vocals more upfront than the SE5. However the vocals, while being more upfront, seem to be less linear and clear than on the SE5. This separation which is more oriented on depth and layering than width makes the music very lively, but can create some confusion / fuzziness around the center of the stage on complex tracks. Just to be clear, this iem still performs at a very high level, so this is comparing between TOTL. I just feel that things are delineated in a better way around the mids on the SE5.

I don't have much to say about the highs. but once again I am not a trebble head. They seem to have the right level of sparkle and air without being peaky. The SE5 will be maybe slightly more refined in this area, but the W12 might have more note weight, making the music more fleshed out.

Overall, a very enjoyable and competent iem, I am really looking forward to compare side by side with the VE8, because from memory, they seem to share a much closer personality than with the SE5.

Round two of comparisons, Aroma Audio W12 with my S-EM9. Man do these have a different presentation ! When switching from one to the other, you feel like you are listening to different songs.
First of all, I haven't noted that the W12 is very sensitive. In terms of sensitivity, W12 is more sensitive than S-EM9 and way more sensitive than SE5 Ultimate.
The key difference that strikes is clearly presentation of the music, the W12 is clearly more upfront and aggressive, but mids are more distant than on S-EM9 (which is slightly mid forward). On the S-EM9, mids are clear and detailed, less clear on the W12, b
ecause of their very special presentation, the mids have some sort of echo / halllow around them, it is hard to explain. It makes them quite emotional, but less transparent.
However, I think most of this comes from the stage. The W12 stage is clearly built on depth, with the vocals more at the back, and the bass line more at the front. They are clearly separated, but more in terms of depth, not really width wise. In comparison, the S-EM9 sounds more stereo, with a clear width axis separation.
Overall, the S-EM9 is delicate, clear, a bit thinner, less deep. The W12 is deep, less wide and clear, more aggressive, with more rumbly bass, more thickness. The presentation is flatter or slightly W shaped on the S-EM9 and more V shaped on the W12, but a quite narrow V.
In terms of source, I think maybe the Mojo will be a good compromise, as the W12 will sound a bit too thick on the WM1Z and a bit too deep on the LPG.
My conclusion on the W12 at this stage it that it is a very interesting iem, but that I don't fully grasp yet (so not a conclusion really). It is powerful and emotional, detailed and with a crazy depth of sound, but at the same time takes a very particular approach to sound. Besides, the issue, as with many V shaped iems, is that you crank up the sound to get clearer mids and then bass might be overwhelming on modern music. Does it sound "right"? I am not sure, it certainly doesn't sound like the SE5 Ultimate or the S-EM9. It maybe be more engaging and lifelike, but sometimes more tiring and less refined. If I still have this demo when I receive my VE8, I will clearly want to compare.

Thanks again Cheung Fai Tsang.

Good rebiew, thank you,I think you can start a new thread

May 27, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #55 of 1,869
Well-done Mim, nice review. I agree with renaming this thread. Not many here own the W12.

I was also thinking, if the W12 has open BA drivers, perhaps it could benefit with having an open port/bore at the back of the faceplate to improve air flow and lessen note density (expanding stage)?

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #59 of 1,869
Well-done Mim, nice review. I agree with renaming this thread. Not many here own the W12.

I was also thinking, if the W12 has open BA drivers, perhaps it could benefit with having an open port/bore at the back of the faceplate to improve air flow and lessen note density (expanding stage)?

What do you mean open BA drivers, like in TIA?

May 27, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #60 of 1,869
What do you mean open BA drivers, like in TIA?
I meant the driver's open vent if there is any..

For example:
https://postimg.org/gallery/24i75atzw/
http://www.knowles.com/eng/Applicat...ing-aid-components/Balanced-Armature-Products
Noble Audio also announces the launch of Sage, a new two-driver in-earphone in replacement to its predecessor, Savant. Now featuring all proprietary drivers and a relocation of the bass vent, Sage, enables an increase in aperture, resulting in an extended low-end response with more texture and a lift in overall bass response. Following in the footsteps of Savant, the new Sage model remains perhaps the most subjectively balanced in-ear monitor while introducing a more refined and capable sound. Sage caters to a large variety of music genres with greater imaging accuracy and enhanced special representation.

As you have seen, at this level, I prefer to give impressions than judge. I have just had then for a week or so, so this is not a review. But I hope these impressions give people who cannot test a better idea of the personality of this iem.
Yes, impression not review. Sorry :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back