Arlington, VA Meet Thread (04/05/09)
Apr 8, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RHMMMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When are you guys going to do another meet? I had to miss this one because I was out of town :frowning2:

Start planning one
duggehsmile.png

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #17 of 25
The room at the library is free although getting it is a pain. Any time someone wants an impromptu meet and can get the free room, I'm sure people will show up. I'm sure there will be a big meet sometime in the summer.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #18 of 25
Yeah, the thing is just planning it really far in advance since those rooms seem to fill up for a long time. RHMMMM if you want to draw a line in the sand for sometime in like August, go for it.

PS - who was the guy who lived in Falls Church on my street? Sorry dude, I forget your name, but you're welcome to spend some time with my Grados when you're bored and thinking about purchase...

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone took pictures.

Ok, that's special. But guess you all were too busy enjoying those 'phones...
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #21 of 25
I recently found out that there are at least three different versions of Jecklin Float electrostatics, all with differing transformer boxes, the PS0, PS1, and PS2, and all sound different. I have the latest (and hopefully greatest) version with Stax-like ribbon cable and the fuses on the transformer box being on the outside of the case and easy to reach.

I saw a picture of the insides of a PS2 transformer box and it looks very different from mine. I will post a pic of the internals of my PS2 sometime in the near future.

Edit: It seems that Jecklin might have also tampered with bias at some point in time, between 1500V and 1200V.

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #23 of 25
Oh, nice, mine looks very similar to yours if not the same. Yours also has the easy to reach fuses.

Frame
Go to the bottom of that site where it says Jecklin Floats, click on it, and check out the pics of the PS0 and PS2 boxes. They look quite different from ours.

Edit: Oh, I do remember having a ribbon cable like the one on the site, though, instead of your thick white cables.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #24 of 25
Theres at least 4 boxes. The PS0, PS1 and 2 versions of the PS2. The bias was originally -1500 or so but that was changed to +1200.

The two PS2 boxes: One has a small round push button and spring terminals and the other has a large flip-switch and binding posts. The flip-switch one has slightly better transformers in it.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #25 of 25
Thanks for the info. The push button version of the PS2 also has different capacitors than ours with the flip switch which should also alter the sound.

Meanwhile, copy and paste of ortho impressions from the ortho thread plus final comments:

I find receivers in general are pretty bad at being headphone amps, because they have large bloated bass and rolled-off treble. I realized this is probably due to the impedance mismatch between the output impedance of the amp and the impedance of the headphones. To me, of scompton's amps, the Starving Student was the best as a headphone amp, followed by the E-MU 0404's internal amp, followed by the Realistic receiver.

I didn't get too much time with the T10 and T30 (there's never enough time during meets, especially with background "noise" and other people wanting to listen) but I did get enough to realize I preferred the T20v2 to them both, at least with whatever damping scheme scompton had for the meet. I do remember I even liked the T20v2 I sent to smeggy, which I left completely stock because the worn pads decreased enough bass to make it pretty flat. I also got to take a look at some of the felts scompton bought and used, which was useful.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the HP-2 (or was it YH-2?) that scompton had, but I do remember him mentioning the micropore tape did good things to the sound, and that minimal damping is best with that particular Yamaha. The YP-1 and YP-100 (I seriously never remember which is which, since I always assume they're interchangeable) were good, but not as good as the T20v2, which seriously took the cake this time around, for some reason. The T20v2 had a cohesive, smooth, large sound, which wasn't as present in the others. I wish I had remembered to bring my T40v1 to compare with scompton's, but I'm pretty sure I heard that little bit of fake sizzle in the treble that was mitigated in mine when I took out the stock diaper damping and replaced it with some superfelt.

Coming away from the meet, I reaffirmed my preference of planar over dynamic and circumaural over supraaural. Strangely enough, the GS-X and balanced HD650 combo didn't do anything for me at all, and I was expecting it to sound great. It sounded harsh and unable to convey timbre and smoothness as well as the planars. The CD3000 out of the B22 didn't do anything, either, and it had that closed-in sound that I've come to really dislike. I didn't get a chance with the K501, although I would have liked to remember its sound. All in all a great meet, though it could have lasted a bit longer or I should've better planned out timing since I missed a few things I wanted to try. There's never enough time. I can't wait for the next one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back