Argon HA1
Dec 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by NilsenNorway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone here have this amp?

If you are looking for a head phone amp, this is a bargain. 998 at Hifi Klubben, in Norway. I bought this yester day, and have hardly slept this night. What you get here is a high end piece! With a good headset, you have hours of listening pleasure in front of you. I have together with the Argon amp, Abrahamsen V1.0, Flowline xlr cables from Esc holdongs, and a V2.0.

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 10
Anyone else try this amp? I am trying it now, borrowing it from Hi-Fi Klubben against a deposit.

Yes, the amount of detail it adds compared to my previous amp is amazing. But the sales clerk said it had gotten some criticism for lack of "punch". I have to agree so far. This is only 30 minutes after buying it, but I have the following impression:

- Very vivid high mids and the sort of subtle details you are likely to hear there. Imagine someone shaking a sand shaker. That sound area is very clear with this amp, and it does sound kinda "sandy".
- Little beef and punch. Flat low mid. Details in the low mid disappear. Makes exciting, rhythmic music sound boring. And this is with Beyerdynamic DT-150, which hardly lacks punch out of the box.

Conclusion:
I want my beef back
frown.gif
But I will be giving the Argon a week to grow on me.

Edit: Found a quote here http://www.minhembio.com/forum/index...wtopic=212787:
Quote:

Argon HA1 testas i senaste HiFi&Musik tillsammans med en rad andra hörlursförstärkare, där HA1 är billigast. Den får sämst ljudbetyg (6/10) av de testade men anses ändå vara en bra uppgradering jämfört med ett vanligt luruttag.

Since this is a Scandinavia only product, I assume most interested partys can read this, but here's a translation anyway:

Argon HA1 was tested in the latest HiFi&Musik (a magazine) with several other headphone amps, where HA1 was the cheapest. It got the worst sound score (6/10) of the tested amps, but is still considered a nice upgrade compared to a "normal" headphone out.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 10
I have just bought the tube version the Argon Ha2 mainly due to my experience with tube amp. I didnt really read any reviews before i bought it, and so far i think it sounds great, and even on some fairly poor headphones. It has now maybe 30 + hours and i feels like its just getting better and better.

One thing that i is really poor, is the USB->D/A converter, which has a really "hish" sound, really rough and your ears gets tired really quick. I using the the cable connection instead, with som really beefy cables from Argon aswell.

The design is quite good, expect the container that protect the tube look really cheap, but else it looks good aswell.    

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 10
With which phones?

Quote:
I have just bought the tube version the Argon Ha2 mainly due to my experience with tube amp. I didnt really read any reviews before i bought it, and so far i think it sounds great, and even on some fairly poor headphones. It has now maybe 30 + hours and i feels like its just getting better and better.

One thing that i is really poor, is the USB->D/A converter, which has a really "hish" sound, really rough and your ears gets tired really quick. I using the the cable connection instead, with som really beefy cables from Argon aswell.

The design is quite good, expect the container that protect the tube look really cheap, but else it looks good aswell.    

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 10

[size=1.6em] [size=7.5pt]Sony MDR-D777LP. Had them for years, and I mainly bought the amp for work, and I previous used the headphones with the computer only, but putting the Argon Ha2 in-between mad a huge difference[/size]
beyersmile.png
   [/size]

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 10
Nice
regular_smile .gif
...the new Bart Davenport album never sounded better, if your in to that kind of music...and the tube amp just gets better and better, just like wine...(depending on brand or volume
beyersmile.png
)

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 10
ive done some extensive testing now, 100 + hours and even had email corspondance with the guy who makes these, and they have super service, and quailty control. Ive had some very poor experience with phono plugs at the back which suddenly felt off?!?!. The guy from Argon, tells me that all the head amps Ha1 DaC1 Ha2 are build in china, but the Ha2 is build by the chinese/chinese, and the other are build by the malaysia with chinese workers in china, and that according to him, makes at HUGE! difference in build quality, so he would make sure that the future amps, they would shape up and build better ones, not that mine is bad soundwise just the little things, as the phono plugs are falling of, but not to worry, i am only now using that great BurrBrown chip, which sounds great. I have tweak it though, reading on other sites, regards to the tube, its a copy version of the tube which was made i the USSR from the sixties until the fall off the sovjet union, and i manage to track one down, i wasnt hard, apperently, they made millions of these tube, and its a 6N2P-EV which is the heavy duty version. the version its comes with is smply called 6N2. And 10+ hours of listening, its made a HUGE different, there are details on Kraftwerks Mensch Maschine, album title track that i never heard before. But sound is personal thing, but i will recomend you chance the tube, its makes as i said before, a huge difference.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back