Argh... again! Impossible to make a decision
Dec 1, 2008 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Bulubulu

New Head-Fier
Hey there folks! Long time no write
smily_headphones1.gif

The truth is that I need your advice
smily_headphones1.gif
Just when I was about to purchase a pair of Audio Technica ATH A900Ti (I've fallen in love with their looks), I thought maybe they're not the ideal headphones for me.

I listen to mostly Classical Music and Techno/Dance/House/Electronic (nice combination, huh?), which means that I like very clear sound, but also I looove strong bass (without it being muddy)... is it possible to listen to these two types of music with a great audio performance using just one pair of cans? Or which cans would you recommend? I heard A900Ti's bass is a bit shy, and for electronic music the best are Ultrasones... but I can't make up my mind

Any help is welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif
atsmile.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 17
The 2500 might serve your listening tastes better, IMHO. I owned the PL750, PL2500 and ATH-A900LTD and liked the PL2500 better for both classical and electronica. I especially thought that the 2500 excelled at rendering organ music: Bach's organ works never sounded better to me. : )

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 17
Wowee! Thanks for the advice, the Ultrasone 2500 must be very good if they're priced so high! They don't produce distortion or anything, do they?

Any other input is welcome! I'll be listening mostly out of my ipod and computer.

PS. Are these open headphones? I'd rather use closed...

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 17
I was thinking that the Sony MDR-SA5000 or Beyerdynamic DT880 might work for you. Both are open, but they'd give you what you're looking for.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 17
The new Denon D7000's are fantastic for both. They do not offer the fastest, driving bass but the bass is big, deep and full (without being bloated and muddy) and makes electronica a lot of fun to listen to. Very clear and detailed too with a big soundstage. Great for classical and with tympani, bass drum, and percussion in general being a real highlight.

I like the GS1000 with both too, just a different sound. Still, the D7000 gets the nod for electronica thanks to that magnificent bass.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 17
Hey guys! Thanks for all the input
smily_headphones1.gif

My budget is up to 400$ (and that already hurts). My source will be an ipod or the laptop (so no, no amp).

Thanks for all the advice, I'm keeping everything you're telling me in mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulubulu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys! Thanks for all the input
smily_headphones1.gif

My budget is up to 400$ (and that already hurts). My source will be an ipod or the laptop (so no, no amp).

Thanks for all the advice, I'm keeping everything you're telling me in mind
smily_headphones1.gif

I would recommend the HD650 to you, but it's got two things going against it in your case: It is an open headphone, and it is quite dependent on the source/amp equipment.
Still, something to keep in mind.

It's not bass shy, that's for sure, but it's not a fart canon either. For me, it has just the right amount of bass. Can't say if you would find the same thing.
With my setup, it sounds phenominal with classical style music and techno/trance/house/electronic.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 17
As a substitute for GS1000 mentioned, I like my sr325i with both kinds of music. Not really at home in classical but i listen to Rachmaninov/Beethoven/Chopin piano works.For electronics it's VenetianSnares and DnB. These headphones give a lot of detail and bass goes low and tight. I think I like these more than HD650, but it is a difficult choice. The grado is more forward and is easier to drive out of an ipod but both are great.

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 17
Damn, and then the beautiful ESW9 come into my mind also...
frown.gif
why is there so many to choose from?

I'm worried about these though... do they need special care (as in, can they withstand temperature changes-be worn outside without any risks of them becoming affected by cold/heat/sunlight)?

Also soundstage is a mayor issue. I need a great soundstage, like, really feel inside the orchestra. I've heard mixed opinions about the S-logic system of the ultrasones...

Merci!
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #12 of 17
The HD650's might be a good choice too. The are are great with nice big sound stage and versatile with music genres. Very enjoyable to listen to but not every one likes the sound. I definitely prefer the Grado side of things but they lose out in terms of sound stage (save the rather expensive GS1000s). The HD650s also have fit issues for some people (me included).

All of the headphones listed so far are all excellent. I doubt you would really go wrong with any of them. I think, far often then not, it simply comes down to personal preference. If you can find a good audio store in your area, go and sample a few.

One thing to do is to pick up a couple of less expensive ones from different manufacturers off the For Sale forum. It is a lot of fun to do A/B comparisons and you will start to get a better sense of the different sound signatures and a clearer picture of what you prefer. You can always sell them both and move up the ladder to higher end model later on.

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 17
You should probably tell, if you plan on using an amp regularly, and whether you want one such to be included in your budget. It carries some weight in conjunction with choosing the right headphones.

Senn 600 do okay unamped and in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back