Are you satisfied yet? (aka: The David Mahler appreciation poll.)
Aug 2, 2011 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

bdh

500+ Head-Fier
Ever since David went MOT, it's just not the same without his regular polls and comparison threads posted all over Head-Fi.  So here's one to bring back the fun! 
beerchug.gif

I selected "I'm fully satisfied with no itch to change anything, but will try a new componant if it get's lots of great reviews."

It's been a long road, but it's sure great enjoying the party at the end.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 24
Yeah I think I'm pretty much done with my setup. I might go for the 009 but that will have to wait until there are some more decent impressions or until I fly to Japan and go have a listen for myself.

I still mess around with DIY amps because I don't really have anything better to do in terms of an upgrade path, I don't know if it's the soldering fumes or something but I can't help but feel super happy while cooking something up.

For me, it's not about having something 'better' anymore as much as it's about having something 'different'.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 24
My current system is quite decent and it has been stable for about a year now. Financial priorities have finally kicked in... :)

But in the long run I do want to climb towards a top notch system. And have a good turntable for which I don't have the space until I move to a bigger apartment. So things will be costly...

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 24
I voted "I've got a decent setup, but I still want to upgrade major portions of it". I'm now looking for a decent OTL amp for my HD650. I'm between Bottlehead Crack or Darkvoice 3322. I need to upgrade some cables too and the power supply. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 24
I voted "I've got a decent setup, but I still want to upgrade major portions of it." I've recently bought a Schiit Lyr, and now I need to buy some headphones for them to drive. The HE-500 is in my sights. After that? Why, whatever Schiit releases as their top of the line DAC of course.
gs1000.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 24
I was going to say something witty, but decided to have a HP existential crisis instead :D http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/565660/sr-507-and-or-transistor-amp-v3-both-mint-for-other-electrostatics-or-dynamic-setup-with-a-less-neutral-sound-pref-sydney-aus-can-do-ww ... I somehow end up with a system that's different to the sound I like (much more prominent mids) :mad: ... The current setup sounds somewhat ortho like - the overpowering bass + a bit in the mids. but keeps missing the crazy mids of the SR-404 and more prominent mids of my work/on the go setups.

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 24
I think it needs the statement added:-

I'm a collector, and I'll keep collecting headphones, amps etc.,  even if I feel I have the perfect setup.

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #11 of 24
I want to stop, so I bought the two (or three...oh crap) best pairs of headphones I could and best amps so I have to stop as it's not possible to get better. 

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 24
I'm pretty much done, except I may spring for an ESOTERIC G-0rb Rubidium master clock upgrade next year from the current G-0x.  That is if the difference warrants the cost of the upgrade.

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 24
I think it needs the statement added:-

I'm a collector, and I'll keep collecting headphones, amps etc.,  even if I feel I have the perfect setup.

I agree with this statement,I have a bunch of systems that are good enough
To stop.
But unless you leave Head.fi for good it never ends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back