Are you male or female?
Nov 16, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #17 of 102
I think it all really boils down to natural male competitiveness. (warning:generalization) Males tend to be more competitive and less content with what they have than females.
Males often feel the need for something better, for no reason other than its better than what they have, and better than what the other males around them.
Females also have this "upgraditus" but I think to a lesser extent than males, and also focused differently.
For instance, most men I know don't bother spending much time/money on clothing, but must have the absolute best in whatever their hobby is, be it computers, audio equipment, cars, etc. Women inversely spend much more time, money, and thought on their appearance, but are more reserved and dare I say practical with their toys. They are fine with the gear that delivers 90% of the result at 10% of the price.

This is only my general experience. Don't take it to seriously

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #18 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah. Her and the Baby Mozart people. Should all be shot.

I'm sure you're aware of the research that started it all for those baby Einstein thingys, right? (they confused enrichment study with deprivation studies). At least they don't do babies too much harm other than confusing living crap out of them.

HRT in late stages of life is absolutely useless and dangerous. I can give you an article for that if you want a good bedtime story. I talk to my neighbors (who are like 70+ years old) and try to persuade them that it's not helpful, but they don't listen. *sigh*

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #19 of 102
Yeap, I'm familiar with the studies...problem with the Baby Mozart stuff is we don't know what happens if we blast foetuses with sound waves. And these women put headphones on their bellies for hours!

Hey, you've ranted about HRT before, haven't you? Either that or I've heard someone else do this...

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #20 of 102
Quote:

Yeap, I'm familiar with the studies...problem with the Baby Mozart stuff is we don't know what happens if we blast foetuses with sound waves. And these women put headphones on their bellies for hours!

Hey, you've ranted about HRT before, haven't you? Either that or I've heard someone else do this...

Yup HRT is related to what I research, so I feel pretty strongly against the issue.

about baby mozart thing - I was thinking more in lines of giving infants TONS of stimuli (colors, sound etc) after they were born, not prenatally. That shouldn't harm them, aside from confusing the living crap out of them
wink.gif

Unfortunately, I study old, old people, and babies are not too interesting in my field of study.

It's amazing though, lots of centenarians (that's 100+ olds) who volunteer for our research are quite amazing - lots of them are doctors, professors, etc etc. talk about biased samples :p

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #21 of 102
Who voted "Other"? ..and why is it even an option in the poll?
Male here...
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #25 of 102
Quote:

Zeph: Why's this thread pointless? I genuinely want to know if there are disproportionately more active male members than active female ones. This won't conclusively show that males are more interested in audio gear than females are, but it's a step on the way. And the discussion on what sex/gender is is important too, but for different reasons.

Because there is nothing to discuss at all in this thread. Either you're a guy or a girl. That's about it. This thread is merely a pit for extreme spamming.

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #29 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chartbreaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~7% are transvestites? Oh dear...
icon10.gif

haha LMAO
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #30 of 102
Red: Are there a lot of centegenarians in Canada, then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because there is nothing to discuss at all in this thread. Either you're a guy or a girl. That's about it. This thread is merely a pit for extreme spamming.

Ah, I see what you mean. I meant this as more of a poll than a discussion thread as such.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who voted "Other"? ..and why is it even an option in the poll?
Male here...
biggrin.gif

That would be Red. He's male. It's an option 'cos some people identify with neither gender. It's not that rare, actually.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, did you mean male/female in real life or just on the internet? I think I voted wrong.

LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back