Are you a "impact" or "detail" guy/gal?
May 5, 2006 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
Just thought this would be interesting. I couldn't find a thread on it, but I expect I'm BLIND. (Link to it if u find it).

I like a lot of music, but mostly heavy metal. And I'm finding that as I hear better cans with more bass extension and response and a more airy/detailed sound, I get a bigger smile on my head. Now, I thought hand on, rockers and metal head and electronica buffs are meant to like punch/slam!

But I'm finding I enjoy my music way more when I can hear more. Irrelevant of the slam. I simply don't care
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd rather have extension down to my socks and be able to pick out incredbible little details (even in rock/eletronica), than have good slam.

What say you?

May 5, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 33
BOTH!

You shouldnt mix the Slam with Boomy. Less detailed but more ambientic boomy bass is good for electronica and hiphop, not Metal.
Bass can be both Slamming and Detailed. Fast, strong, really tight slamming and detailed bass drum that rams to your eardrum (or constant hyperspeed punching on doublebass...
basshead.gif
), that is something Metal really loves.
biggrin.gif
Boomy bass will just cover everything under blasting mayhem...

May 5, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 33
Actually, I think there is some relation between impact and detail. The more detail one hears, the more impact a component (or system) may appear to exhibit. They are certainly different characteristics, though. I suppose I am probably on the detail "side of the fence," but musical impact or expressiveness is important, too.

May 5, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 33
How 'bout....I want my impact to have detail. I'd rather have clean, detailed bass...the type where you can discern the roughness of the horsehair as an upright bass is being bowed. You really need both for full effect.

May 5, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 33
Depends.

When I'm just chilling and listening to my classical collection I'd say detail is more important.

When I want to rock out to Dragonforce I want the slam.

May 5, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 33
I like detail, but I'm lucky enough to have equipment that provides both, for me anyway.

May 5, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 33
Greater detail always seems to bring a smile to my face
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 33
I'll say both as well. I like boomy bass with open air cans, but for portable use I find it too fatuguing. Clarity is important to me on the go.

May 5, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 33
Both, that's why I have a PS-1
biggrin.gif

I think a more interesting question would be: color or neutral?

May 5, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 33
I just moved and hooked up my stereo system that I bought at Target over 10 years ago, and realized - what I'm really missing through headphones is impact. I want impact, dammit!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Detail for teh win!!1! What's the point of impact if you can't tell what's really going on?

tongue.gif
Detail with no impact is like listening to a math teacher read Romeo and Juliet.

Bueler? ... Bueler? ...

May 5, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 33
I prefer detail in music, however in rap I dont think there is much detail so I'd prob prefer impact for that. But overall I'd rather have a headphone with detail, and a stereo in my car with impact

May 5, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 33
I'd rather have detail than impact, but the Micro amp is helping my lowly HD465's give impact (lots of that) and some detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back