are world class head amps also world class in speaker applications?
Feb 1, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #16 of 22
I've added an update in my post #13 on my new SP after Mikhail added my new PSU.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #17 of 22
This is an interesting thread because although at the moment I do my listening via my headphones I do have a pair of old (20+ years) DCM Time Windows 1A and an Adcom GFA555 which are in storage but which I would like to use again some time soon.

So currently my Singlepower MPX3 has a pre- amp function built into it. I also own a Monarchy NM24 DAC which has a line stage which currently I use as a headphone amp using an rca to 1/4" jack built by S2 Audio. BTW, what is a line stage?
redface.gif

So I was wondering if you all think if either the MPX3 (w/ lots of mods) or the Monarchy Audio NM24 would be better options than my old (also 20+ years old) Adcom GFP500? I have been looking for a GFP750 by Adcom which many have recommended as a great pre-amp.

I am sure the answer will be to set them up and try all to see which I like best.
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #18 of 22
I think you should just set them all up and try all to see what you like best...
tongue.gif

J/k (not really you should)

Ahhhhh the DCM time windows...very cool and unique. I still have a pair of Time Frames.

You owe it to yourself to try them in a long wall nearfield situation. Get them suckers a LONG way away from the rear wall and about 5-6 feet apart and you about the same distance away. Try it and let us know how it works for you.
(be prepared for an experience)
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #20 of 22
I have April Music Stello HP100 and as a preamp it's very good. Transparent, clean, detailed - I just love it. I had a chance to compare it, in terms of preamp function, to WooAudio 3 and I preferred Stello by a large margin (except bass region).

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #21 of 22
funny I've been talking myself into a ZD specifically because it functions as not only a headphone amplifier but also a speak pre-amplifier I wonder how it will sound with ML's

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #22 of 22
Also the Cayin HA-1A, although I've never used it for speakers.
It can run very efficient, flea watt speakers...

In fact, I think most higher end Cayins and Cary's have a heaphone output.
I'm not sure about how well the headphone output actually runs headphones, although in the case of the HA-1A, it is powerful enough to run K701's and K1000's.
There's only a couple people on this forum that use higher end Cary's or Cayins as their main headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back