Are we sure daps dont all sound about the same?
Jan 23, 2019 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Luke Thomas

500+ Head-Fier
Ive been toying with buying another dap. I have a fiio x5 1st gen. It sounds quite good using flac files through Focal Clear headphone.
Of course like many of us, we are always trying to achieve a better sound. under $500. Would the ibasso 150 be the go to dap. Could this dap sound a lot better than my Fiio X5?
Thanks.

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 13
I have had fiio x7 and x7mk2 and now I have bought Ibasso dx200. But the differences will be similar. So let me put it this way. If you are tripping and know whats up the difference is enormous, Ibasso is on another planet, the only way I can compare is that they both make sound. Fiio is made by people who have no idea of how music should sound and look like. If you are not tripping the difference will probably be negligible, depends on your ears/age and state of Consciousness.

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 13
I have had fiio x7 and x7mk2 and now I have bought Ibasso dx200. But the differences will be similar. So let me put it this way. If you are tripping and know whats up the difference is enormous, Ibasso is on another planet, the only way I can compare is that they both make sound. Fiio is made by people who have no idea of how music should sound and look like. If you are not tripping the difference will probably be negligible, depends on your ears/age and state of Consciousness.
I did trip on the ice the other day. Im guessing your saying to your ears. The ibasso sounds better than the fiio?

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 13
Fiio is not even on the same planet as ibasso. My vibe x3 sounds better than my fiio x7mk2 did. All I can say is that ibasso is far superior, they know how to tune their devices to get the most out of the hardware. Fiio has good hardware with absolutely zero knowledge of how to actually implement it and tune it.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 13
'Ive been toying with buying another DAP. I have a FiiO X5 1st gen. It sounds quite good using FLAC files through Focal Clear headphone.
Of course like many of us, we are always trying to achieve a better sound. under $500. Would the iBasso 150 be the go to DAP. Could this DAP sound a lot better than my FiiO X5?
Thanks.
Why don't you buy a whole bunch of DAPs and compare their sound and post the results?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 13

Can't get any better answer than this. Ibasso's Achilles heel is software. Thankfully, we have Lurker0 to give the iBasso's hardware some justice. I agree, the hardware is superb. Fiio looks like just get the latest fancy parts and assemble them quickly and sell them like hotcakes.

I'm still holding on to my AK240SS (which I acquired couple years ago at a very nice discount as the owner needs to get the latest and greatest at the time) for many reason other than sound quality. It feels like new DAPs nowadays doesn't bring anything new. if only iBasso reaches the same level of consistency as AK's software ...

I feel like the latest TOTL Android phone is good enough as a DAP considering we have several mature player/apps and more flexible/useful than a dedicated DAP.

Jan 26, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 13
Good topic and a concept I think many have contemplated over the years, or decades as it were. I can say with confidence that to my ears the iBasso DX90 sounds better than my Cowon Plenue P1 - playing same songs, same IEM's, adjusted EQ on both, and at volume matching levels. Is it a huge difference - no. Did I perform a "double blind", scientific study and always pick the DX90 - nope. But I do prefer the music out of the DX90 and the UI of the P1.

I would question to those comparing different devices - do you take advantage of EQ/other adjustments on each device to optimize/maximize the sound to your ears? And if so do you still detect significant differences? In my book then you are certainly on to something. For the purist that cling tenaciously to the tenet that only a flat, out of the box comparison is valid - seems like a unnecessary constraint and bias preventing you from obtaining the best performance from the device.

I am patiently waiting here to see if I will go with a R6 Pro, DX150, or whatever the DX220 might be - but for sure looking for something that sounds better than the DX90 first of all and also has a better UI - which I believe all of these candidates will/do.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 13
This can be a very polarizing topic.
I think it all depends...on components used, how they are integrated, how the UI works, the headphones you use, your mood you're in, the day of the week. There are so many factors that can influence how you listen that it is almost impossible. Each of us perceives things differently, you may not like how something sounds where I may think it's the best.
Best you can do is to get something, play with it for a while and see what your brain thinks. Not fun to listen to, return it and try something else...Like what you have, stick with it.

Jan 26, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Not all the music players sound the same, even the ones in the same price range.For example Tera-Player sounds like nothing I have ever heard before.
Shozy Alien Gold and Hifiman R2R2000 sound a just a little bit like it.
It's sound is unique from my point of view/hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back