Are we going to talk about these new Beyer/Massdrop 177x?
May 10, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #16 of 260
DT770's extend better than most headphones in both bass and treble.
Where do you feel they are lacking, and compared to what other headphone?

Don't get me wrong, I have had multiple pairs of 770s over the last 20-25 years. I love them. In the under-$200 closed-can range they are really hard to beat. However, as I have started using more expensive, more hi-fi headphones, I find myself reaching for the 770s less and less.

When I am listening casually and just want to bump along with some deep, deeeep low end, I go for the Audeze EL-8. Not neutral, but really fun! When I'm mixing, and needing neutral but accurate detail, I reach for my HD-600s if I'm not worried about bleed, and my old Sennheiser HD-250 Linear 2s if I am. I find that I am mostly reaching for the 770s when I am tracking. They have always been built well and with good isolation. If I am recording someone else, I don't have to worry about them dropping my headphones. The 770s can take it.

Obviously, these other headphones are significantly more expensive than the 770s (or out of production). But that doesn't change the fact that when using my 770s, I find myself missing the bass information below 60hz and/or the 10+khz detail. That is exactly why I am so interested in the 177x. I'm hoping that this can be the extended version of the 770s that I have been imagining.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #17 of 260
Yeah, to me this looks like a good closed can for work. Hope they release a balanced cable, as they said they were looking into.

Do you know where they stated they were going to release a balanced cable? I can't seem to find that info anywhere, I think I'm blind... And is it only for the go edition, and not for the original 1770 or the 1990?

May 11, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #18 of 260
Do you know where they stated they were going to release a balanced cable? I can't seem to find that info anywhere, I think I'm blind... And is it only for the go edition, and not for the original 1770 or the 1990?

Very top of discussion.
"2.5mm TRRS Balanced cable in development (prototype)..." 5th image down in the first discussion,

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #19 of 260
Very top of discussion.
"2.5mm TRRS Balanced cable in development (prototype):
talk

I am blind haha! Thank you so much!

Aug 14, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 260
Bought them and waiting.
I have the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (big like, the reason I bought these)

I also have ASTELL&KERN BEYERDYNAMIC AK T1P (so-so like)

So my question - Wondering - do you think that the lower impedance ("Go" versions) result with significant sound quality trade-off for Beyerdynamics?

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #21 of 260
I’m still surprised there are only two pages here on this headphone. I suppose it’s initial run was pretty limited but since it’s a Beyerdynamic I expected it to get more discussion. I’m excited for my pair too, hopefully the shipping doesn’t get delayed!

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #22 of 260
Bought them and waiting.
I have the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (big like, the reason I bought these)

I also have ASTELL&KERN BEYERDYNAMIC AK T1P (so-so like)

So my question - Wondering - do you think that the lower impedance ("Go" versions) result with significant sound quality trade-off for Beyerdynamics?
From my experience with other low impedance Beyerdynamics, my expectation is that you won't have any sound quality issues. (I'm basing this on 16, 32, 80, and 250 Ohm versions of the DT-770 -- and to me, the 16s are just as fine as all the others.)

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #25 of 260
so since i’ve never participated in a drop before, i was wondering: is it pretty much a given that anyone that didn’t pre-order will be able to buy these at the end of the month? the demand for them makes it seem like a no-brainer that they would produce more but i’m not sure how this works. any ideas?

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #26 of 260
Got an email from Drop. Looks like they’re on track for the 9/30 ship date.

Hype still seems a bit quiet but I’m stoked to get my pair. A couple more people have chimed in on the Drop page who got to try these; more positive remarks.

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #27 of 260
Got an email from Drop. Looks like they’re on track for the 9/30 ship date.

Hype still seems a bit quiet but I’m stoked to get my pair. A couple more people have chimed in on the Drop page who got to try these; more positive remarks.

looking forward to your impressions on them. im kinda interested in getting one as well

Sep 24, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #30 of 260
Mine just arrived this morning! I’ll be listening all evening once I get home from work. I’ll probably post some initial impressions.

Btw, looks like they have another active Drop going for these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back