are these HD600 genuine?
Jan 25, 2022 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

llehcnotna

New Head-Fier
I picked up a used pair of HD 600 and I was wondering if I got fakes. I'm 95% sure they're genuine but some inconsistencies lead me to believe that they aren't.
(came in original box with instructions)

They're the marble finish version they don't have a "made in Ireland" on the inner headband.
The drivers both say:
19 02 19
MiniSys

The silver sticker (authenticity sticker maybe?) Is on the inside when you take off the ear cup. From other pictures it looks like this is on the outer portion of the driver where the grill is.

My last concern was I didn't think that I was able to drive them due to the 300 ohm but they seem fine out of my Komplete Audio 2 Audio interface.
Appreciate the replies, thanks :]

This has been discussed here as well:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/is-this-hd650-genuine-or-fake.850297/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/is-this-hd600-genuine.961828/

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 5
I picked up a used pair of HD 600 and I was wondering if I got fakes. I'm 95% sure they're genuine but some inconsistencies lead me to believe that they aren't.
(came in original box with instructions)

I'm not even aware there are any HD600 fakes. The IEMs (Sennheiser, Shure) have fakes because they're easier to fake...just put in a bassy dynamic driver in there. Maybe add some kind of filter to muffle the treble peak and make it sound more like an IE8(0) or SE535.

They're the marble finish version they don't have a "made in Ireland" on the inner headband.

By "original box" do you mean the old, ribbed, black outer box with the old sticker? Because if he had them long enough he's replaced the headband pad several times, and if he's replaced the headband pad several times, that increases the likelihood that he broke that plastic lock for the headband pad.

If you mean he has the current box...maybe some of the current HD600s are not made in the Ireland factory? AKG is making some of their K7xx range in China now, maybe Sennheiser is doing the same.

The silver sticker (authenticity sticker maybe?) Is on the inside when you take off the ear cup. From other pictures it looks like this is on the outer portion of the driver where the grill is.

My last concern was I didn't think that I was able to drive them due to the 300 ohm but they seem fine out of my Komplete Audio 2 Audio interface.
Appreciate the replies, thanks :]

This has been discussed here as well:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/is-this-hd650-genuine-or-fake.850297/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/is-this-hd600-genuine.961828/

The newer units (since 2014 or thereabouts) have the silver sticker. If you have the newer outer box design then these are definitely the newer units. And maybe there's still the possibility that whoever put that together drinks Tsingtao instead of Guinness.

Mine doesnsn't as it was purchased 2008.

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm not even aware there are any HD600 fakes. The IEMs (Sennheiser, Shure) have fakes because they're easier to fake...just put in a bassy dynamic driver in there. Maybe add some kind of filter to muffle the treble peak and make it sound more like an IE8(0) or SE535.
There might not be I might just be a little paranoid over it.
By "original box" do you mean the old, ribbed, black outer box with the old sticker? Because if he had them long enough he's replaced the headband pad several times, and if he's replaced the headband pad several times, that increases the likelihood that he broke that plastic lock for the headband pad.
By original box I meant the black carry box it came with it, there was no outer shell that was included.

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 5
By original box I meant the black carry box it came with it, there was no outer shell that was included.

No way to tell whether that's the newer or old one just by the box. AFAIK the inner hard box is the same, they just switched out the outer sleeve/jacket box.

Old box
1643184761221.png

New outer box.
1643184804419.png

Also new (unless this is just the reverse side of the box above).
1643184821400.png

Assuming you have the older version, it's likely he's had it long enough as to eventually break the tab and had to replace it (or was extremely unlucky/careless and broke it after one headband pad swap).

The tabs on mine are still good though and I'm on my fourth headband pad (I'm using an HD650 pan on it, which, curiously enough, had difficulty slipping into the slot).

Jan 26, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 5
I agree with ProtegeManiac completely. The HD600 has been made for quite a long time, now - probably 25+ years, at least. There will be a lot of tiny variances over that period of time from one model to another. I see nothing in the photos that would imply a fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back