Are there any really quiet tube amps?
Oct 4, 2009 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Abstraction

100+ Head-Fier
I started in audio when tubes were the only options. I built some monoblocks when I was in highschool, using 1625s, a twelve-volt filament tube otherwise with the same specs as 807s. You could buy 1625s military surplus for, I think, 29 cents. I built Dynakits and restored Dynaco stuff I found at garage sales. But I got too busy and impatient to mess with a soldering iron, so I bought a run of relatively high-end tube amps of various kinds. Finally, I got sick and tired of their humming and cracking and popping. I bought Red Wine Audio S-70, battery powered monoblocks, and couldn't be happier. Very low, inky black sound floor.

In thinking about getting a headphone amp, however, the gentle glow of vacuum tubes seems attractive, and, while am I quite happy with the sound signature of the S-70s, it might be interesting to have genuine tube sound as an alternative.

Are there tube amps that really quiet? I can spend up to a $1200 or so.

Thanks.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 24
The Eddie Current ZDT I heard yesterday at RMAF sounded very quiet, but not as quite as the Exstata SS headphone amp that I also listened to.

Thanks to the kind "citizen" volunteers from headfi.org at RMAF who introduced me to these two amps and, also, to some really nice headphones. Made my day, which otherwise was pretty ho-hum.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 24
I don't think you need to spend anything like $1200 to get a modern tube amp that is dead quiet. My LD Mk IV is, indeed, just that. And I'm sure there are any number of others.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 24
The Eddie Current Zana Deux is dead quiet. The amp is unfortunately a step over your budget though.

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 24
The Donald North Sonett is very quiet with all my phones. My Decware CSP-2 is also quiet. Not as quiet as the Sonett but still good for a tube amp. Although I haven't owned a Woo Audio amp, I do remember them being very quiet at CanJam.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 24
If I crank the Woo Audio 5 le into the 50% level there is a slight hum. I would never play it at the halfway mark do to it being way to loud.

So no hum on these. No warm up crackel. You can hear it power up to soft start mode. There is no reason to try to listen to an amp before its turned on. But yes you brought back memories of Scott Lab amps sometimes having strange audio artifacts in the warm up stage. Somehow with Woo those things are history.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 24
The Grommes PHI-26 is also dead quiet. Turn the volume all the way up and - nothing. $995 US but it can take quite a while for them to actually build one. Worth the wait! Alan Kimmel designed, you might never find a better sounding amp. All tube, Mu Stage preamp. I have two.

A plus, it also powers efficient speakers. A friend even runs his fifteen inch JBLs with his (and his Grados, SRXs and Omega single drivers). At the price they ask, a real bargain.

Clark

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 24
Thanks to everyone for the good help. The Eddie Current stuff is very nice. I have never used cans for serious listening, however. The price is a little steep for a first plunge. I like to looks of the Donald North amp. What phones do you use with it? How much difference is there with balanced output.

I am a novice at audiophile quality headphone listening. I've always thought of cans as a way to help diagnose problems with my speakers.

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 24
I think you'll be very pleased with the Donald North amp. It strikes a great balance between tube and solid state. It's extremely musical and has great tone. Another benefit is it's designed to run the tube conservatively so there not much heat and very long tube life. I think you can tell I'm enjoying mine.

Thanks to the impedance switch the amp places nice with all my phones. Senn. HD800's, Senn. HD650's, Denon D7000's, and Beyer DT880's. My favorites are both the Senn's and the Denons, depending on my mood.

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstraction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there tube amps that really quiet? I can spend up to a $1200 or so.

I find the Woo WA2 to be very quiet with both Sennheiser and Grado phones. Haven't tried it with IEMs, which are the most sensitive to hum, but for conventional phones, I recommend giving the WA2 a listen.
normal_smile .gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstraction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought Red Wine Audio S-70, battery powered monoblocks, and couldn't be happier. Very low, inky black sound floor.

In thinking about getting a headphone amp, however, the gentle glow of vacuum tubes seems attractive, and, while am I quite happy with the sound signature of the S-70s, it might be interesting to have genuine tube sound as an alternative.

No reason you can't have both.

Have you checked out John Broskie's 24 Volt Aikido?

It's a tube linestage/headphone amp, but uses 6GM8's so you could easily power it with a 24 volt battery supply, a la the Red Wine.

Of course it's a DIY amp, not a turnkey amp, but...

se

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The WooAudio amps are very quiet. I have experience with the WA6 only, but from what I have read here, all of the Woo amps are dead quiet with low impedance cans.

X2

I can crank my Woo 6 all the way with the high gain 6FD7 driver/output tubes through both high and low impedance cans with no audible hiss or hum.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #15 of 24
The Decware CSP-2 is also completely quiet (as well as sounding terrific), and is $800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back