Are there any portable headphone amps/DAC that have mic-in apart from the Creative/Soundblaster E1/E3/E5?
Apr 13, 2016 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

OxfordGuy

New Head-Fier
Hi - I'm looking for a good quality portable headphone amp/DAC/ADC that has a mic-in that I can use to record audio to my computer, use for Podcasting, and also with my ModMic headset mic for gaming etc. I also want to use it as the main sound card for my PC for both headphone listening and line-level recording. 

NB: the on-board sound inputs and outputs on my laptop are junk, especially the mic-in - so much hiss and noise. At the moment I'm using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS to output audio to my headphones, and it's great, but that's all it does - no line-level recording, no mic-input, no use with my iPhone or tablet. I'd prefer to only use one USB port too, so would rather replace my DACMagic XS with one device that can do everything.

I'm aware that the Creative/Soundblaster headphone amp/DACs (E1/E3/E5) all seem to have mic-in, but only the E5 seems to approach audiophile quality, but it's too large to be practical as a mobile headphone amp/DAC. Are there any other good quality headphone amp/DAC/ADCs that have a mic-in port? This would need to supply enough power for low power condenser mics (up to 5V?) Thanks

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 3
Does the Fiio E18 support mic-in? I'm not convinced it does, although it does have line-in, but I would be delighted if anyone can confirm that it does have mic-in!

http://fiio.net/en/products/20

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 3
The creative sound blaster e1, e3 and e5 has a built in mic and comes with a nice software suite. It also have 2 headphone jacks which one of them can be turned into a mic in. Well, E3 has great sound quality for its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back