Are there any over-ear headphones that have a good passive sound cancellation?
Feb 18, 2020 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Galeonero

100+ Head-Fier
Hello people, I have been looking for a pair of over-ear headphones for a budget of maximum 160 dollars (if it is less better), I currently have a Fiio F9 PRO and Shanling Up2, I am very happy with both devices. And I would like some over-ear to vary and cover the sound around me a little to be able to study calmly.

I want them to be headphones focused on audio that plug external sound in a passive way, I'm not looking for some with active because I understand that the audio is of lower quality than others at the same price.

As for sound I am looking for good media, no matter if they are warm or neutral, I like to hear the voices and feel each sound. That they are not big, I would use them at home and traveling.

And of course very comfortable, I had some ath-m40x audio technica and m50x I found them too uncomfortable, I couldn't use them more than 45 minutes because of annoying headband and pads.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 26
I find the isolation of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO to be sufficient. It doesn't completely seal everything off, and a lot of it would depend on how it fits you, but I think that is a decent starting point. I have the 80 ohm version. In the US, they can be had for under $130 new if you keep an eye on the fluctuating price on Amazon.

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 26
Agree with the last poster that the DT770 has very god passive isolation. The DT1350 also has great isolation if you're looking for a more compact, on-ear option.

Feb 21, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 26
Just to be clear about the DT770 Pro, there are actually a number of variants.
The ones with the best isolation come with the black pleather ear pads - these pads have incredibly good isolation properties.
The silver velour pads allow more noise in.

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 26
For what it is worth, the DT770 Pro and the Custom Studio I own have the velour pads. My comments were based on the velour pads. I believe only the non-pro version ships with pleather pads.

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 26
The Bose noise canceling headphones are the onoy ones that won't effect sound because they hold the patents for so.

While stuff like tue Sony will have to work around that by utilizing the bass to help noise cancel.

I highly suggest trying a Bose product first. I wish Bose would stop finding loopholes to keep extending their patents, even if they deserve them as the innovators. They are holding back the industry research at this point.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 26
Hello people, I have been looking for a pair of over-ear headphones for a budget of maximum 250 dollars (if it is less better), I currently have a Fiio F9 PRO and Shanling Up2, I am very happy with both devices. And I would like some over-ear to vary and cover the sound around me a little to be able to study calmly.

I want them to be headphones focused on audio that plug external sound in a passive way, I'm not looking for some with active because I understand that the audio is of lower quality than others at the same price.

As for sound I am looking for good media, no matter if they are warm or neutral, I like to hear the voices and feel each sound. That they are not big, I would use them at home and traveling.

And of course very comfortable, I had some ath-m40x audio technica and m50x I found them too uncomfortable, I couldn't use them more than 45 minutes because of annoying headband and pads.

No passive noise blocking over ear headphones will decently block out bass frequencies so the environment that you're in will determine their perceived effectiveness. With that said, rtings.com gave both the AKG K371 and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro a decent score for noise isolation. The DT 770 Pros seem to do a bit better in blocking out the mid range while the K371s do a bit better with treble. In addition, they both have a sound profile that is close to the Harman target curve. Comfort and seal around your ears will be specific to you but they seem to think the DT770 Pros are more stable and comfortable. If others around you are a concern (such as listening at a library) then the 371s seem to leak less.
You can see a comparison of them here:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-vs-akg-k371/440/1671

Good luck.

Feb 23, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 26
The Bose noise canceling headphones are the onoy ones that won't effect sound because they hold the patents for so.

While stuff like tue Sony will have to work around that by utilizing the bass to help noise cancel.

I highly suggest trying a Bose product first. I wish Bose would stop finding loopholes to keep extending their patents, even if they deserve them as the innovators. They are holding back the industry research at this point.
Hello, I did not know that information but according to the reviews I saw, the sony have a better sound than the bose and comfort, they are better in every way even in the sound cancellation.

Feb 23, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 26
I see that the most voted is Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, I really like the design and the sound very good, my question is about comfort, I read a lot of complaint that they feel in the ears after a while of using them, is it true?

Feb 23, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #10 of 26
Hello, I did not know that information but according to the reviews I saw, the sony have a better sound than the bose and comfort, they are better in every way even in the sound cancellation.
The sony's aren't better than the bose, they're just different, imo. :)
I don't like their sound signature, wether bose nor sony.
This is very subjective and you've to evaluate this by yourself.

For a really got passive noise cancelation, i'd have a look to some used Oppo PM-3s. But they'll be very rare, i guess.
Changing pads can make a difference, too. Especially if you're wearing glasses, like i do.

The DT 770 pro with p-leather pads is another great option to heading for, afaik.

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 26
The DT770 Pro! I am surprised I could use the DT770 when the fireworks was there during the new year and they protected my ears very well. Using the velour pads because p-leather pads are not comfortable due to easy sweating and they feel not nice too. I should have gotten the 80ohm version to use it for almost everything. So currently the 250ohm and you'll need a dac or amp.

The DT770 Pro with the p-leather pads is 32ohm version whereas the 80ohm and 250ohm comes with velour pads.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 26
There is no passive noise cancellation, but noise isolation. The full-sized ANC has analog signal in connection. If you travel around a bit, and spend a lot of time in environments of noise, I'd recommend trying out good ANC headphones. You probably fixated on passive for some reason, but in use case scenarios, you get better sound quality if the noise is reduced or cancelled because noise masks sounds. If you are in a quiet environment all the time (which doesn't happen a whole lot), passive would make sense, but if you move around with noise seeping inside the cups, it's really not an enjoyable experience in fidelity if you are aware of relative differences in experience. Passive with lots of noise mixe in, or ANC with noise mostly reduced with better coherency. Your choice.

And with all that real noise around I don't want to hear complaints about noise level of an amp. lol

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #13 of 26
There is no passive noise cancellation, but noise isolation. The full-sized ANC has analog signal in connection. If you travel around a bit, and spend a lot of time in environments of noise, I'd recommend trying out good ANC headphones. You probably fixated on passive for some reason, but in use case scenarios, you get better sound quality if the noise is reduced or cancelled because noise masks sounds. If you are in a quiet environment all the time (which doesn't happen a whole lot), passive would make sense, but if you move around with noise seeping inside the cups, it's really not an enjoyable experience in fidelity if you are aware of relative differences in experience. Passive with lots of noise mixe in, or ANC with noise mostly reduced with better coherency. Your choice.

And with all that real noise around I don't want to hear complaints about noise level of an amp. lol
Hahaha.
You're right with the "cancelation". :wink:
(And electrical noise) ^^

Maybe the op wants to hit two birds with one stone.
In this case it's better to go with isolation, imo.

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 26

True, use the inappropriate term by the translator.
It is not obsession, I do not like to make a mistake when buying a product. I want to know well what to buy, I want the best sound and passive isolation for a reasonable price.
I fully understand that the Bose Q35 II and the Sony Wh-1000mx3, are not headphones focused on audiophile sound or true to reality, are focused on isolating / canceling the sound in a blunt manner and that the sound is "good."

Currently I have Fii9 F9 PRO that passively isolate me from external sound in an incredible way. I ALWAYS listen at a moderate level by pulling low to take good care of my ears.
I can not hear the children crying from the neighbor, the barking dog covers it almost completely and the insulator also almost completely.

I have monitoring headphones, which are the ISK STUDIO HD9999, they are very comfortable headphones but too big, the isolation is bad they look like open headphones, even with the music on.

The sounds I don't want to hear are the barking dog, the neighbor's children crying or splashing in the water, someone mowing the grass or vacuuming the house, the neighbor who starts watching the novel at everything he gives at 24 hours the night or even someone cooking at home. It may be that it is as you say and I need something that actively cancels the sound and not something that passively isolates.

It may be that I have become very focused on looking for the best sound at all times when what I am looking for is something else. I could go for headphones with active sound cancellation that have a good sound and at another time headphones to listen to quiet music.

I think I'm answering just haha, if I'm looking for ones with active sound cancellation, I'm going for Bose Q35 II or Sony Wh-1000mx3 or some other model?

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 26
True, use the inappropriate term by the translator.
It is not obsession, I do not like to make a mistake when buying a product. I want to know well what to buy, I want the best sound and passive isolation for a reasonable price.
I fully understand that the Bose Q35 II and the Sony Wh-1000mx3, are not headphones focused on audiophile sound or true to reality, are focused on isolating / canceling the sound in a blunt manner and that the sound is "good."

Currently I have Fii9 F9 PRO that passively isolate me from external sound in an incredible way. I ALWAYS listen at a moderate level by pulling low to take good care of my ears.
I can not hear the children crying from the neighbor, the barking dog covers it almost completely and the insulator also almost completely.

I have monitoring headphones, which are the ISK STUDIO HD9999, they are very comfortable headphones but too big, the isolation is bad they look like open headphones, even with the music on.

The sounds I don't want to hear are the barking dog, the neighbor's children crying or splashing in the water, someone mowing the grass or vacuuming the house, the neighbor who starts watching the novel at everything he gives at 24 hours the night or even someone cooking at home. It may be that it is as you say and I need something that actively cancels the sound and not something that passively isolates.

It may be that I have become very focused on looking for the best sound at all times when what I am looking for is something else. I could go for headphones with active sound cancellation that have a good sound and at another time headphones to listen to quiet music.

I think I'm answering just haha, if I'm looking for ones with active sound cancellation, I'm going for Bose Q35 II or Sony Wh-1000mx3 or some other model?
The Sonys are best in anc at the moment with bose on the second place, imo.
If you're looking for better sound, take a look at the Dali IO 6 or the Bowers & Wilkins PX7.
The Dali is offering a sound closer to "neutral" or the harman curve, but with a slightly weaker performance in active noise cancelation.
The PX7 is closer to the Sony than to the Dali, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back