Are There Any iPod EQ Presets That DON'T Distort?
Jun 13, 2005 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vranswer

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this is a repeated topic, but I'm wondering what my options are for boosting the bass on iPod to make my E4s happy. I've seen where people value 'classical' preset, and I've noticed that 'jazz' has less bass bump than 'classical' (thus perhaps not as distorting?).

Please - I know, I know, people with Irivers - that's not the point.

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 8
Sure with MP3/AACgain. Otherwise I don't think so. Personally I'm a fan of Acoustic. Don't have the E4s, but if like the siblings on either side, I'd suspect that would work well also... with gain adjustments.

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks, Bx, it's pretty much what I thought. Since most of my music is ALAC, mp3Gain is not an option. And I've tried wavegain and really didn't like the resulting files. I don't like any of the iPod presets, so I guess it'll just be EQ 'off' until Apple finds it in their heart to give us a real EQ........
confused.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Sure with MP3/AACgain. Otherwise I don't think so. Personally I'm a fan of Acoustic. Don't have the E4s, but if like the siblings on either side, I'd suspect that would work well also... with gain adjustments.

ya, mp3gain works very well.... it eliminated my clipping issues with iPod eq http://www.dapreview.net/content.php?article.133 check that out

Jun 14, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 8
Find a two track audio editing program that does batch processing, and normalize your library down to 80%. That'll fix your problem with no loss in quality.

See ya
Steve

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Mind if I ask what you didn't like about the WAVEGAIN files?

Just seemed like they lost detail and came across as boomy. It's still a lossy process when you run a file through wavegain as I understand it. Thought I could live with it, but went back to unaltered ALAC files.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakets
didnt you get an X5 or archos?

Yep, still have the Archos AV320, and it's almost PERFECT driving the E4s. But it is a big player and doesn't wear on the belt too well. iPod still gets plenty of playing time, as does Carbon (and Chiba, and even occasionally Muvo II - I got 'em, so I like to use 'em). iPod is still the audiophile choice, and probably gets the most 'run'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Find a two track audio editing program that does batch processing, and normalize your library down to 80%. That'll fix your problem with no loss in quality.

The normalization process is also a lossy approach, is it not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back