are there any good drivers that will fit into the sony mdr f1?
Feb 10, 2012 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

genesyndrome

Member of the Trade: Headphone Modder
I have a broken pair of sony mdr f1s and im looking for good headphone drivers that will fit into the cavity where the driver is supposed to be in but at a resonable price range. would the fostex t50rps drivers fit?

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Please Help!!!  Will grado sr60's fit?

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Considering that Sony does that special bass lens thing with the F1, I suspect it would be very hard to get another driver to behave nicely in there. They just have such a different overall structure.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 8
i see. do you think the whole unit of the grado sr60i driver and casing fit in the given limitations of the F1 driver casing

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Do you have at least one working MDR-F1 driver?

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 8
yes i do 

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 8
joelpearce is pretty much on the money. The MDR-F1 doesn't have a sealed ear chamber. Not many headphone drivers are designed to work in a free field situation. The AKG K1000 is one. If you weren't interested in replacing the F1 driver then you could use a 2" full range speaker which, while not entirely out of the question if you wanted to experiment, would not be my first choice as it would take heavy modification just to get the headphones usable irrespective of end performance. None of the drivers I linked to will drop in and I don't see any model that will fit depth-wise meaning you'd have to most likely replace the rear grills, or just remove them completely. These drivers are going to be heavy, too. The F1 is designed to hold a lightweight magnesium alloy frame and relatively lightweight drivers on your head in their stock configuration. You'd have to figure out some way to increase the tension on the headband otherwise everything will just droop down past your ears. Once finished, your normal headphone amplifier wouldn't be be able to drive these. You'd have to hook them up to a speaker output and be careful not to blow your ears. Price is a concern for you, but so should low frequency extension if we can trust any of these supplied measurements. I see 80-85Hz being best case scenario. The only other thing I can think of would be making your own sealed ear chamber, using the Sony MDR-SAx000 line as a reference, and finding a way to mount the pair of 50mm headphone drivers of your choice inside. How you'd go about doing this would be entirely up to you. I'd also recommend drivers designed for open back operation.

If you want to fit T50RP drivers in the F1 I'd like to ask why, or more specifically, why not just buy a T50RP?

I've got a spare MDR-F1 driver I don't need. PM me if you're interested.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 8
i have considered full range speakers to replace the f1 drivers, but like you have mentioned it would be heavy and would require modifications to the overall headphone.  I am open to almost any solution because the Sony MDR F1 is the most comfortable pair of headphones i have ever worn :).  Any driver would be fine as long it has a decent to good sound, meaning a clear and detailed sound bass is not that much of concern but i like it punchy.  

Thank you 

I will consider your offer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back