Are there any DIY tube amplifiers?
Nov 7, 2007 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

m11a1

500+ Head-Fier
Right now, I'm in the process of building my first amplifier, the Beta 22, but I also want to build another one. Except I want my next one to be a tube amplifier, does anyone know any popular or have experience DIY tube amplifiers?

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 19
where can i get the millet max in a whole package? does it come with a dedicated casing?

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 19
Ask the same question on www.headwize.com
wink.gif
Lots of tube amps builders there.

There are quite a lot of potential designs but not a lot of kits, as tube amps tend to be wired p2p (not a lot of components). A classical starter tube amp is the improved Morgan Jones (see headwize library). It's similar to the earmax pro.

Top notch kits can be had here :http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/ Plenty of reviews on head-fi.

Iirc, the aikido preamp pcb can also be modified into a headphones amp if you're after a pcb. Broskie sells the PCB : see www.tubecad.com See for example : http://www.tubecad.com/2006/04/blog0062.htm (there might be other variations on his website).

I wouldn't suggest it for K701 but just for fun, here's the ancestor of the RKV : http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Vers.../PCL805-KH.htm It needs a better PS and something to prevent thump at turn on/off. One can see that the RKV is somehow an hybrid btw
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by djork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can i get the millet max in a whole package? does it come with a dedicated casing?

Jeff Rossel (glassjaraudio.com, http://www.geocities.com/jeffrossel) sells kits and yes, it is intended for a specific Hammond 1455-type case.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 19
If your building a b22 I would say try an aikido. That is probably a comparitively complex build too. You have a lot of options for tubes too.You do deal with voltage in the 220v range though. If you know what you are doing you should be able to do it though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Millett Max might be a start. Nothing near as fancy as a B22 but it would keep you busy a little longer. I think Pabbi1 is building a balanced Millett Max to boot.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 19
I am not sure but with the aikido you have an option to use a 6cg7 input and a 6h30 output which may make this amp equal to a singlepower amp. Maybe. I have never heard any of these so this is just speculation.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 19
The Bijou is a promising new all-tube project that you may be interested in (info available at Headwize). However this project uses ~250VDC so it's not an ideal beginner's project.

The SOHA is a simpler build but it's not an all-tube design.

Feb 4, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bijou is a promising new all-tube project that you may be interested in (info available at Headwize). However this project uses ~250VDC so it's not an ideal beginner's project.

The SOHA is a simpler build but it's not an all-tube design.

Diy HiFi Supply

The new Basie is an Aikido circuit and I have yet to hear a bad thing about it. One could save some cash and build there own Aikido. The 24V Aikido has a headamp built in and if the 24V sound does not please you it could later be wired for 6CG7/6H30 high voltage operation. I may do both 24V and the 6CG7/6H30 to do a comparison, but this will be a few months away. The main reasons I am interested in the 24V over the 6CG7/6H30 is ease and size. The other configuration will cost me two to three times as much to build and be five time the size and ten times the weight.

The other benefit of the 24V version is that a balanced version of this may be the cheapest way to go high end balanced, tubed or solid state.

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, I'm in the process of building my first amplifier, the Beta 22, but I also want to build another one. Except I want my next one to be a tube amplifier, does anyone know any popular or have experience DIY tube amplifiers?

Thanks!

My preamp and amp is build from kits. OTL DIY Vacuum Tube Amplifiers Stereo Preamplifiers High End Audio Kits
I amp is the SE OTL and sounds great! I also own a Zen decware amp and an Assemblage amp. All great sounding!

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 19
I am currently building a Bijou, and it is a lot of fun. It's pretty straightforward in my opinion, compared to the Aikido. The website that Alex put together for it has a lot of info on it HERE. Plus, it seems Broskie is currently out of the 24v Aikido boards.
Although it is not updated on his website, Jeff does have kits for the Bijou, and he customizes kits as well (although I just got the boards from him)
smily_headphones1.gif
. You just have to email him(jeffrossel@glassjaraudio.com). There is now a thread on the Bijou in this forum's DIY section and a nice review in the Amplifier section here as well.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 19
Doesn't Mapletree also offer kits? Last time I was there they offered them.

If you feel up to it, check out the tube projects in the Headwize library. Learning to wire point-to-point in a chassis is challenging, fun and rewarding. Once you can do that, there's a world of projects waiting. You can go straight to the very best at 10% or less of the cost of commercial gear.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 19
You've probably read this by a few previous posters and I must really, strongly warn you - DIY tube amps can be the most dangerous kits out there; you are dealing with high voltage DC and those kinds of shocks can be fatal! (yes, worse than AC by far). Two DIY'ers on this board with tube amp building experience are pbalcer and looser101. PM them and ask them for help before starting this venture!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back