Are the velour pads worth it over the softskin ones? (DT770 PRO 32 ohms)
May 30, 2014 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Technohawk

New Head-Fier
Hello!

It's been a while I've bought my beloved DT 770 PRO 32 it was only recently that I've noticed the other models come with velour pads, as opposed to the 32 edition, which comes with regular softskin.

I browsed beyerdynamic's site and I saw the have replaceable velour pads there. After doing some research it seems the velour is one of the nicest features of the DT700s and sadly I'm missing it.

So do you guys think it's worth ditching the softskin for the velour? Also, why is the silver one more expensive than the black one? Even at Amazon there's a price difference...

May 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 10
It's worth a try.  Make sure to get the ones specified for DT770 as 770, 880, and 990 velours all differ in the sturdiness of the foam used inside of the pads.  Velours rock for comfort and you don't have to worry about them ever disintegrating or anything.  If they ever discolor, a hand wash with detergent is the solution.  I have not tried Beyer pleather pads myself but I have tried Shure SRH840 pads on my DT770 with great results.
But who knows, you may come to prefer the sound with the pleathers.  Only your own ears can tell you.

I seriously doubt they have a 3m cable, gosh dang!

May 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 10
I'll check the length and report back.

Now seriously, what would be the reason behind the 32 edition having the leather pads? It doesn't make sense to me. Everyone seems to like much more the velour, and one of the 770 top features is the velour itself. I'm guessing there's relation to performance maybe? Or even target audience? At their site it's written "32 ohms for mobile applications" and "80 ohms for studio". Why would studio people be rewarded the velour privilege and mobile people the sucky leather? 

Even the top models 880 and 990 come with stock velour so the evidence points in the direction the leather is "inferior" in every possible way.

May 31, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 10
  I'll check the length and report back.

Now seriously, what would be the reason behind the 32 edition having the leather pads? It doesn't make sense to me. Everyone seems to like much more the velour, and one of the 770 top features is the velour itself. I'm guessing there's relation to performance maybe? Or even target audience? At their site it's written "32 ohms for mobile applications" and "80 ohms for studio". Why would studio people be rewarded the velour privilege and mobile people the sucky leather? 

Even the top models 880 and 990 come with stock velour so the evidence points in the direction the leather is "inferior" in every possible way.

Thanks for checking for me!

I wonder if the pleather has better isolation, which would be beneficial for mobile use?

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 10
Jul 9, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi guys, i am interested in this matter as well. I am about to buy a 32ohm d770 and would like to know how the velour pads affect the sound on them.... Does the sound gets closer to any of the other beyers? I read the bass is a little boomy on the 32ohms (with the stock pleather pads), if the velour is added do i get better control and punch on the bass?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back