Are the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro's suitable for my need?I would really use your advice..
Jul 10, 2011 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Optimus Praim

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys..
Since i joined Head-fi i found myself entering a world of unlimited audio knowledge.
I felt that before i was living in stone age era,missing a lot of what is out there..
So after reading many reviews and chating with quite a few people i ended up getting the Ath-M50's because at that point i thought that they were the right cans for me.
Music is my life,i listen to when going to work every day,at my place when i don't feel like going out,hell i even listen to when lying on my bed before i shut down..
biggrin.gif

I am a techno freak and mostly i listen to all genres of electronic music and i needed a pair of cans that really shine for it..
That's why i ended up bying M50's because many people find them a good all arounder and a descent one for electronic music..
Don't get me wrong here,i really love my M50's,they have great isolation,they are comfy for me and the sound out of them is quite analytical with a nice bass impact without becoming boomy.
I find that female vocals are exceptional through them and the overall sound is quite descend for a 100 buck headphone..
My problem is that they are lacking in terms of depth and soundstaging..
I have made the following mod in order to achieve better clarity and a wider soundstage
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551679/how-to-make-m50-s-mid-less-recessed-increase-soundstage-56k
and in a point my problem was fixed but i do think that the problem is still present...
So after some research i bumped into Ultrasones which some people claim that they are the perfect closed cans for electronic music.
They do claim that the S-logic technology is not a commercial trick and that it really expands the soundstage..
I am willing to make the step and get these but i would really need your experience and comments..

1)Do they really outperform M50's in terms of overall sound quality and soundstage?
2)Is the clamping force enough for them to stay secure on the head without sliding?(i want to wear them on the street when going to work)
3)Does it block outside noise equally well as M50's do?
3)Is the output volume loud enough without the sound become distorted?
4)Are they really so crystal crisp?

Edit:I am also considering any other pair of Ultrasones due to the fact that the DJ1 Pro's are huge for portable use....

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 26
Hi, I could do an in-depth a/b comparison of both headphones to help you out, but given your edit, I don't know that it would be that useful. I would never recommend the DJ1 PRO for portable use -- as you say, they are just too big and bulky.

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 26
Priest you are right,i watched a video with most of Ultrasone's cans next to each other and i realised that the Pro's are HUGE.
It's not what i need for sure because as i said i need the cans for outdoor use too.
So i decided to grab DJ1 instead and hope that they will satisfy my quest for the best cans for electronic music..
Some people say that they are not so different from Pro's when it comes to sound performance. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 26
Pros are quite large but they're for professional use hence the name. DJ1's believe it or not, seem to be bassier than the pros. I think you will love them. :)

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 26
Yes they are for proffesional use,i recall seeing Ritchie Hawtin wearing them on his party gigs back at 2008...
biggrin.gif

I like bass in my music but i didn't choose DJ1 only for being bassier,i have a couple of amps to boost the bass if needed.
I expect from them to be better from M50's in the whole spectrum of sound.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 26
Yes they are for proffesional use,i recall seeing Ritchie Hawtin wearing them on his party gigs back at 2008...
biggrin.gif

I like bass in my music but i didn't choose DJ1 only for being bassier,i have a couple of amps to boost the bass if needed.

I think a cow producing methane sounds better than M50's. However, they have a huge following so obviously people are hearing things I'm not. Enjoy your ultrasones! They're great headphones. Be sure to post your impressions!

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 26

Quote:
I think a cow producing methane sounds better than M50's. However, they have a huge following so obviously people are hearing things I'm not. Enjoy your ultrasones! They're great headphones. Be sure to post your impressions!

I think you are a ''M50 lover''...lol
I like M50 because i found the perfect EQ settings and i am able to squeeze the most out of them but to be honest i have never heard any high end headphone so as to have better knowledge...
I will definitely share my impressions when i am through burning them in....

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 26
I've noticed most M50 people tend to use an EQ. In my opinion, EQ's are just a crutch for your headphones not having the sound signature you really want so you feel the need to artificially reproduce it. You will be happier when you find what signature you like, and don't have to even touch an EQ. :)

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
I've noticed most M50 people tend to use an EQ. In my opinion, EQ's are just a crutch for your headphones not having the sound signature you really want so you feel the need to artificially reproduce it. You will be happier when you find what signature you like, and don't have to even touch an EQ.
smily_headphones1.gif

You are right,without EQ and some mods m50's sound muddy like you have a veil on your ears,also they lack wide soundstage..
I am not against equalising,on the contrary i believe that everyones tastes and perception of sound is different and with equalising you can achieve your personal unique sound.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 26

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Just a heads up: they are WAY harsher than the M50 initially. I really hated that.

After about 70 hours burn in though, the treble really mellows out and you'll be able to see that the HFI-580 offers more detail and clarity across the entire spectrum, though mids are much less forward.

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 26

Quote:

Just a heads up: they are WAY harsher than the M50 initially. I really hated that.

After about 70 hours burn in though, the treble really mellows out and you'll be able to see that the HFI-580 offers more detail and clarity across the entire spectrum, though mids are much less forward.

I am willing not to judge them from the first listening sessions so that they can mature..
I expect them to be way different from m50 so i think i want be caught off guard when i try them..
I just hope i will love what i will hear from them...

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
Priest you are right,i watched a video with most of Ultrasone's cans next to each other and i realised that the Pro's are HUGE.
It's not what i need for sure because as i said i need the cans for outdoor use too.
So i decided to grab DJ1 instead and hope that they will satisfy my quest for the best cans for electronic music..
Some people say that they are not so different from Pro's when it comes to sound performance. 

I am also curious of the DJ1 PRO's sound compared to the DJ1/HFI-580...though after reading this thread, maybe the large size will be too large for me?

Where did you find the video of the size comparison? I've only seen the DJ1 PRO's in a vidoe of a person from about 10 feet away on YouTube and on a mannequin head from a Flickr album. As an aside from their large size, they seem to have a relatively slim profile compared to some other closed cans.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
I am also curious of the DJ1 PRO's sound compared to the DJ1/HFI-580...though after reading this thread, maybe the large size will be too large for me?

Where did you find the video of the size comparison? I've only seen the DJ1 PRO's in a vidoe of a person from about 10 feet away on YouTube and on a mannequin head from a Flickr album. As an aside from their large size, they seem to have a relatively slim profile compared to some other closed cans.

Oh i think they are too large..
People say that the only difference is that DJ1 is more bassy than Pro...
Check the video...

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
Wow, those are really big....I wonder how big they are compared to the Shure SRH840 headphones, which I thought were pretty large.

Look man i ended up with DJ1 because the Pro's are too huge for me..
This is my second day with these babies and i can assure you that my quest for the ultimate headphone for electronic music finally came to an end..
I will stick with them until Ultrasone launches another godsend headphone that will kill DJ1 in every aspect....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back