Are the Shure SE110 any good?
Feb 29, 2008 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Freshhiphopm

New Head-Fier
i'm testing it out with the different foams and rubbers

the cashier told me it was good for bass but im not impressed yet

i got this after using the Sennheiser CX 300 ($50.00)

but so far the bass here isnt even better but i paid $104 for the Shure's

i was at the store and it was between the Shure's and the Bose's $100 headphones, or i could've went back to the Sennheiser's for $50

i dunno, let me know

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 36
they are good, but no way good value for money!!!

The have present bass, mids are present and highs are fairly good, no massive roll-off. but you could do a lot better for that kind of money!

In regards to the bass, it is better i.e. more controlled and defined than the cx300 for sure, but I agree, it is nothing exciting and not worth $104!

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are good, but no way good value for money!!!

The have present bass, mids are present and highs are fairly good, no massive roll-off. but you could do a lot better for that kind of money!

In regards to the bass, it is better i.e. more controlled and defined than the cx300 for sure, but I agree, it is nothing exciting and not worth $104!

which headphones do you think would be better?

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshhiphopm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which headphones do you think would be better?

Sub $100 I would say:
d-JAYS - known to have pretty decent bass and clear and present mids and highs.
Xtrememac/FS1 - If you can find them! (They have been discontinued) - uses a future sonics MG5 driver, sounds really good and nearly NO microphonics from the cable...even less than the Atrio's!!!

If bass impact is not too important, the Etymotic ER-6i is the way to go for clarity and tight bass!

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sub $100 I would say:
d-JAYS - known to have pretty decent bass and clear and present mids and highs.
Xtrememac/FS1 - If you can find them! (They have been discontinued) - uses a future sonics MG5 driver, sounds really good and nearly NO microphonics from the cable...even less than the Atrio's!!!

If bass impact is not too important, the Etymotic ER-6i is the way to go for clarity and tight bass!

ok i've tried all the rubbers and foams and i'm not getting the kind of bass i want

i got better bass with the Sennheiser

so its between Sennheiser ($50) or Bose ($100) or something else i could get at a retail store

any suggestions?

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #7 of 36
look for a pair of Sony EX90. They are about the best you can get at a retail store IMO. Online options are better, but I guess you don't want to mess with all of that?

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look for a pair of Sony EX90. They are about the best you can get at a retail store IMO. Online options are better, but I guess you don't want to mess with all of that?

well i dont want to mess with the online because the store i bought the current ones from only do exchange and store credit i believe

umm, how about those Bose $100? is that a good buy? if not, whats wrong with the Bose's? a lot of folks are saying they are overrated but i dont know why

and i dont think the store has those Sony EX90

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #9 of 36
You looking for IEM?

I personally have MDR-EX90 and MDR-E888 which I really like. I got MDR-EE888 6 years ago and it still sounds great! I got the old Sony MDR-E888 and the build quality very nice.

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ch28kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You looking for IEM?

I personally have MDR-EX90 and MDR-E888 which I really like. I got MDR-EE888 6 years ago and it still sounds great! I got the old Sony MDR-E888 and the build quality very nice.

neither of those are IEMs

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

well i dont want to mess with the online because the store i bought the current ones from only do exchange and store credit i believe

umm, how about those Bose $100? is that a good buy? if not, whats wrong with the Bose's? a lot of folks are saying they are overrated but i dont know why

and i dont think the store has those Sony EX90

Next time order the IEMs you want from EarphoneSolutions.com. They have a pretty good return policy and are a respectable site. As far for bass, what happened to your Senns? If you want I have a pair lying around that I can give you for like 20 bucks.

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

i got better bass with the Sennheiser

I own both cx300's and se110's. And no the cx300's do not have BETTER bass. They might have more, but definitely not better. Although the se110 isnt very good compared to other offerings in the price range, they are still far superior to cx300's

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both cx300's and se110's. And no the cx300's do not have BETTER bass. They might have more, but definitely not better. Although the se110 isnt very good compared to other offerings in the price range, they are still far superior to cx300's

wow

i just dont know what to say here

maybe i should try the se110's again

maybe i'm doing something wrong?

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

wow

i just dont know what to say here

maybe i should try the se110's again

maybe i'm doing something wrong?

if they are anything like the e2c's (and my understanding is they are), they have a medium amount of bass - the sennheisers you have have -tons- of bass.

The shures also will give you better isolation and less cable microphonics, to the extent that matters (it does for me).

try the smallest soft rubber (not foam) tips and insert deep in your ear canal.

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #15 of 36
The SE210 I had was a complete failure in the bass department. Although your CX300 would have been more muddy and overpowering my experience was that the CX300 was far more satisfying.

I returned my Shure for UE Super.fi 5 Pro and I got my bass back! Online price for it was only slightly higher than the retail price for the SE210. A jump from SE110 will obviously be a bit more though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back