Are the shure e3c worth springing from e2c
Jan 8, 2005 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mmmmcheese

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking into getting some canalphones. I have decided on the the shures but don't know if I should spend the extra 30 or so us dollars on them. Are they that much better?

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 13
I think they're worth it. The E3 is more detailed than the E2 and have better highs. Though the E3 have lesser viseral impact compared to the E2 the E3's bass are tighter, cleaner, and of higher quality. E3 seems more engaging and more energetic. The E2 just seem a bit muddy when compared to the E3. On the other hand, E2 sounds smoother and warmer.

E3 can be found for around $118 shipped while the E2 are around $65 shipped.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 13
I would put in a big vote for "no." I have had a pair of E2C's before, and although I have not listened to the E3C, I do own a pair of E5C's. Roughly estimating that the E3C's are about the average of those two in terms of quality, I would say that the E2C's are superb portable headphones, and the E3C's would not be a significant upgrade. It would be similar to upgrading from SR80's to SR225's. There's no huge point; if you're going to spend that much money, either spend a lot more money and go for E5C's or buy something else with it. This is especially true given that you state you're not an "audiophile."

Also, if comfort is a big issue for you, know that Shure will have grey sleeves for the E2C's sometime around February available.

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 13
I would vote for e3. despite the SQ, e3 provides better comfort, normal looking and thinner cords. since you have mentioned e3c is what you are looking at, i suggest you go for e3. they are just grey and attract less attention.

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 13
Oh, god. I read that first post quickly and thought that you HAD a pair of E2C's already. Sorry.

Yeah, buy the E3C's. The E2C's, as they stand, are not comfortable at all. That alone is almost worth the spring to the E3C's.

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
I think they're worth it. The E3 is more detailed than the E2 and have better highs. Though the E3 have lesser viseral impact compared to the E2 the E3's bass are tighter, cleaner, and of higher quality. E3 seems more engaging and more energetic. The E2 just seem a bit muddy when compared to the E3. On the other hand, E2 sounds smoother and warmer.

E3 can be found for around $118 shipped while the E2 are around $65 shipped.

Where can you find the E3s for 118 shipped?

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 13
Jan 8, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #9 of 13
how well do they sound say compared to the AT CM7 or the Sony E888s?

As well how is the fit? And how bout the durability? How well do they insulate? Is it so good that I'll beable to hear my self chew gum and hear my heart beat and stuff? Because I know when I plug up my ears with ear plugs I can hear my self chew gum, walk, and my heart beat.

Like I've said the isolation that the E888s give me (with the foam stuff) is good enough for me.

I need them more for sound, but as well for walking around campus, so I don't need to have people like walk up to me and like push me for me to notice them

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 13
I got mine from eCost today on the $118 deal (wish I'd seen the free shipping @ MacMall). I had returned my E2Cs a couple of days ago (had bought them retail @ $99 on an impulse, then got an email from eCost).

I can't say for sure, but the E3Cs seem to have a little more top end, a little more detail, and they're more comfortable, although hard to seal since they don't wedge in. I'd say for the $25 (with shipping), it's a nice improvement. If I'd bought the E2Cs for ~$65 like I think they can be found, then I'm not sure these are worth twice the cost, though.

I like them a lot.

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 13
I got both, for the reasons mentioned here, especially by Zuerst and Frankcent I would advice the E3.
The E2 have significantly more occlusion too, for some reason (the bigger body?).

Jan 10, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 13
bah prices went back up
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back