Are the Sennheiser PX 200 Bright?
Sep 9, 2003 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

raynegus

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting these for my wife now that she rejected the Etys (oh the humanity). She has a pair of Grado SR80's which she likes but finds them bright with some songs.

My question: is the sound of the px200 "bright" like the sr80's? Any comments on the px200's appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh, her source is an iPod (256kbps AACs).

Sep 9, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 8
certainly NOT.

if you wanted a single word i would call them dark.

if you want something more comprehensive - they have a rather bass-biased sound with slightly recessed high-mids and highs. the midrange is full otherwise and sweet. there is a upper-bass hump IMO. they are impactful and fun phones. not ones to get if you crave e888, em7 or 501 type detail.

Sep 9, 2003 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 8
I think the PX200s would make perfect "wife" 'phones, at least for my wife.

I agree with adhoc. Slightly dark with very good midrange. Electric guitars sound great with them, as do male vocals. Very portable and easy to carry headphones. All around a good little performer for the price.

Sep 9, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Electric guitars sound great with them, as do male vocals.

agreed. unfortunately, not female vocals - they sound veiled and lacking some detail. using the words that come to mind first - they are not 'sparkly' anymore.

if your wife desires isolation and does not mind in-ear designs, you may want to consider shure e2s. sonically they bear some resemblence to the px200 except they cost twice as much (
wink.gif
) and have better bass extension that does not flood (as the px200's is wont to do once in a rare while), have overall a better more well rounded bass (gone is the midbass hump), and less (though still very very slightly recessed) recessed highs.

they possess the same sweet midrange as the px200s and excellent isolation (much MUCH better than the px200s). they also do not mess up hair (assuming your wife has hair
biggrin.gif
) and are infinitely more discreet. they are hands down overall the best portable phones i have ever purchased.

of course these are only my opinions though. and yes, LTUCCI924, i KNOW that an amp will open up the highs.
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 8
raynegus: If you compare the other PX100/200 thread, the results with the PX200 vary significantly for different people. For me, it sounds wimpy, tends to some screechiness and is far away from a full size-sounding headphone like the SR80. Maybe the comfy pads of the SR60 (or just an additional SR60) would be the solution for curing your wife's occasional SR80 troubles... In terms of portability, the PX200 certainly have the edge, though.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back