Are the Sennheiser CX980's worth it?
Oct 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tigersinacage

Head-Fier
Had my eye on these for the last few days, and seem to be a good choice for the £100-200 range.

Does anyone have an opinion on these?

I know it's a very subjective question, but is there anything better for the price?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
It really depends what you are looking for.
It helps if you can give an idea of the kind of sound you are after and the type of music you like.

Thanks for the reply. I'm after a pair of in ears that have minimal sound leak, and a really comfortable fit. (Although, I have a set of Comply T-400's, so the comfort of the earbuds isn't too important) As for the sound, I like a nice strong, tight bass, good mids, and the treble not to be too harsh.

Mainly listen to electronic, but also listen to a lot of alternative and indie-rock (Radiohead, Brand New, Minus the Bear etc)

Any suggestions? Willing to spend around the £200 mark. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 15
It's probably  a better idea to get an ie80  instead of the cx 980.
The cx980 has a lame telecommand, and seem older than ie8, probably sennheiser would discontinue them , as they have done it with the mx 980 (unless that's already done).

@tigersinacage
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm after a pair of in ears that have minimal sound leak, and a really comfortable fit. (Although, I have a set of Comply T-400's, so the comfort of the earbuds isn't too important) As for the sound, I like a nice strong, tight bass, good mids, and the treble not to be too harsh.

If you don't mind that the default ear tip are not so comfy, the  yamaha eph-100. The comply won't work on them from what I've heard.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 15
Yeah I was just looking at the IE80's, they sound really good, but stretching my budget to the max! Realistically looking for something on the lower end of £200, i.e £150-200.

Recently sent back some Bowers & Wilkins C5's, absolutely loved the bass on them, but couldn't get on with the design. Really uncomfortable after a while. Also went through a pair of Klipsch X10's, but they sounded a little weak to me. I'm back to my Soundmagic E10's at the moment, which are awesome for the price. Just wish the mids and treble was upped a bit, then they'd be perfect. 

Any other ideas?

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
It's probably  a better idea to get an ie80  instead of the cx 980.
The cx980 has a lame telecommand, and seem older than ie8, probably sennheiser would discontinue them , as they have done it with the mx 980 (unless that's already done).

Actually, they have released the new CX985 to replace the CX980, selling at ~$160, coming out sometime in the autumn. However, I wholeheartedly agree on choosing the IE80 as the choice, it is much better than the CX980, which is a flawed IE8. I suppose you can wait on the CX985 to see how it may turn out, however.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 15
Are we talking about these? Apparently they're already out, or is it a different version you're both referring to?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Phones-Integrated-Volume-Control/dp/B009ES68P0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350600557&sr=8-1

If those are the ones you're talking about, how do they compare to the 980's?

Care to give a brief overview KJ? Would be massively appreciated!

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Are we talking about these? Apparently they're already out, or is it a different version you're both referring to?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Phones-Integrated-Volume-Control/dp/B009ES68P0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350600557&sr=8-1

kjk1281 and I are both referring to that

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 15

ir

That's the one. I don't have the CX980 so I can't compare in terms of sound, but there seem to be many usability improvements, including the new volume controller and the revised plug.

As for sound, the CX985 comes with three types of tips: "balanced" white-cored silicone tips, "bass-enhanced" pink-cored silicone tips, and a pair of foams. I have only used the two silicone tips, but it is surprising how different the sound is between the two. Both allow the CX985 to give a very airy presentation with large soundstage. Where the two differ is that the balanced tips sound a bit brighter and provide better resolution and a very open sound, while the bass tips make the lower frequencies much fuller, making the sound a bit darker while still retaining much of the clarity in the mids and highs.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
That's the one. I don't have the CX980 so I can't compare in terms of sound, but there seem to be many usability improvements, including the new volume controller and the revised plug.
As for sound, the CX985 comes with three types of tips: "balanced" white-cored silicone tips, "bass-enhanced" pink-cored silicone tips, and a pair of foams. I have only used the two silicone tips, but it is surprising how different the sound is between the two. Both allow the CX985 to give a very airy presentation with large soundstage. Where the two differ is that the balanced tips sound a bit brighter and provide better resolution and a very open sound, while the bass tips make the lower frequencies much fuller, making the sound a bit darker while still retaining much of the clarity in the mids and highs.

Awesome, thanks. Do you think the Comply T400's would compliment the sound signature? How is the bass on them? I'm still in two minds about these earphones really, do you think there is a better option for a similar price? Maybe in the $250-300 range? Again, I know it's a really subjective question, but any suggestions would be great.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Awesome, thanks. Do you think the Comply T400's would compliment the sound signature? How is the bass on them? I'm still in two minds about these earphones really, do you think there is a better option for a similar price? Maybe in the $250-300 range? Again, I know it's a really subjective question, but any suggestions would be great.

Yeah, of course. To start you off, Sennheiser Germany is having a sale on the IE80s for around $279.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 15

I don't think the T-400s work on the CX985 since it uses a slightly narrower sound tube. I think it might use the T-200, but I'm not entirely sure. Personally, I think the Comply tips might make them sound a bit more mid-centric, but I don't have any Comply tips to support that claim.

The bass is relatively tight with the balanced tips, and is much more prominent with the bass-enhanced tips. With either tip the bass has great texture and impact and is of good quality overall.

Can't say whether there are better options for the price or not, though I do think the CX985 is worth the asking price. For what it's worth, the Sennheisers complement my Etymotic HF3s well as they are quite different sounding.

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 15
I'm using CX980 after IE 80 and even IE 800. CX980 totally worth its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back