Are the RE0s really the best bang for your buck?
Oct 6, 2009 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Darius94523

100+ Head-Fier
I've owned a pair of Atrio M8s for about two years now and it feels like time for a change. Originally I wanted to upgrade to a 'high end' pair of IEMs, like the SE530, UM3X or IE8. But I came back and started doing some more research and it seems like people LOVE the RE0.

So I'm kinda lost here. My budget is decent, probably up to $300 if I really want to push it. Where will my money best be spent in a high-end IEM or something that costs less and sounds like one?

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 33
The best bass response I got form the RE-0's was using shure e2c black softflex sleeves in combination with decored comply t400. With this combination I am satisfied with the amount and quality of bass. The supplied tips always give me an anemic bass response. For $99 brand new, they are the best bang for your buck.

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 33
You will definitely find the bass lacking if you're coming from the Atrio.

People love the RE0 mainly for it's transparency and neutrality, not for the bass.

If bass is very important to you, I'd upgrade to something like the W3 or IE8 instead.

If you're looking for a nice change in sound signatures, the RE0 will provide a more balanced sound with much better mids/highs.

However, you'll need time for your ears to adjust to the RE0's bass, or lack thereof. The extension is definitely there, it just won't have as much impact/slam as your Atrio.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 33
I used Shure SE530 for more than an year.
Then i tried RE0 because of the actual low price.
I sold SE530 and bought a good headphone amp (Meier Audio Corda 2Move) to pair it with the RE0. They are simply incredible!
When amped, they have almost the same soundstage, slightly less bass but better hights than SE530; mids sound very natural, a bit less "in your face" than the Shures.

If you can want balace and detail, but not analitical sound, go for the RE0. Then buy a good portable amp. I add sometimes 2-3 decibels on the lows to give more impact, but with a lot of recordings they are simply perfectly balanced, without equalization.

At the actual price, i think RE0 is unbeatable (also at full price).

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 33
I haven't been satisfied with the bass response of the RE0, so I'm trying the Klipsch S4 right now ($80 direct from Klipsch, free shipping). The S4 certainly has no problems with bass -- possibly a bit too much bass -- but I can turn the EQ down instead of up with the RE0. And the S4 bass is not boomy like the Senn CX series.

The S4 is much warmer while almost as detailed as the RE0. The RE0 seems more detailed because the bass doesn't interfere at all, IMO. But the S4 hangs right in with the RE0 in terms of detail. And the S4 is a good bit more effecient than the RE0 -- I've lowered my player volume by 30-40%.

So if you want bass-light, the RE0 is great for $100. But if you need more bass, the S4 is even better for $80. YMMV.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 33
For those who have tried these all: RE0 ($99), PK1 ($159) & PFE ($139), amped, which for you sounds the best? the most fun? the most balanced? the most detailed? I have the PFE and wanting to upgrade soon. Do you think either the RE0 or PK1 is an upgrade to PFE?

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrazmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who have tried these all: RE0 ($99), PK1 ($159) & PFE ($139), amped, which for you sounds the best? the most fun? the most balanced? the most detailed? I have the PFE and wanting to upgrade soon. Do you think either the RE0 or PK1 is an upgrade to PFE?

I own the PFE, but have not heard the RE0. Judging from other impressions, I'm going to have to say that the jump between the two would not really be an upgrade, more of a sidegrade. What don't you like about the PFE? If you think it's too bright, analytical, aggressive, etc. then the RE0 might be good. Otherwise, consider buying/upgrading an amp. Even a cheap Fiio can cause wonders.

PK1 is something a little different, so I'm not going to comment on that.

EDIT: Looks like you have some decent amps already. Don't know what to say.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 33
They are the best iem for classical, in my experience. Look at my profile for the ones I own.

They have a spacious soundstage and sound great unamped.

This isn't to say I don't use other iems. My PFE is also heavily used.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 33
i think i am very curious to hear the opinions that people have on the lower end iems. I think i am going to convince my girl to buy me some for christmas. I was thinking either the RE0 or the IGI.

Also on the pk1 i feel that they sound like full size cans...they really amaze me!!

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the PFE, but have not heard the RE0. Judging from other impressions, I'm going to have to say that the jump between the two would not really be an upgrade, more of a sidegrade. What don't you like about the PFE? If you think it's too bright, analytical, aggressive, etc. then the RE0 might be good. Otherwise, consider buying/upgrading an amp. Even a cheap Fiio can cause wonders.

PK1 is something a little different, so I'm not going to comment on that.

EDIT: Looks like you have some decent amps already. Don't know what to say.

Thank you for your reply. Actually, I'm loving every second with my PFE which is amped by T4-E5 (daisy-chained) and the combo sounds big and great to me.

The added warmth and soundstage of these amps make me feel that my PFE has become more mature in sound. Because of this also, I can now use the gray filters without the overbrightness/sibilance but with a nice, sparkly highs and amazing details. Balance is not a problem anymore. Bass is very accurate, not boomy but tight and impactful (more impact would be great).

Why I'm asking this is because I'm really curious how such earbuds can make a big sound like that of a full-sized can plus all the positive reviews I have read here and there about the PK1. I might not be that interested with the RE0. Just want to know if it sounds better than the PFE.

If I have the $, my options would be either to buy PK1 or a DAP like the AMP3 or Clip+. Just not sure for now.
icon10.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 33
I don't own a whole lot of IEM's, W3 being the only other top IEM I own aside from RE0. It really boils down to preference in music and sound signature. No one can tell you the RE0 sound better than other X top universal IEM or any other in the price category. I listen to mostly classical/jazz/alternative so I hardly have the need of a punchy bass. As I got older my ears fatigue too fast on bass heavier music. I find the bass plenty for my preference. Otherwise, yes they are just that good.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 33
This is becoming a hard choice for me. I thought that getting an intro level IEM that has good SQ and is under a $100 dollars would be easy. Now i am stuck between the RE0, the grado IGI and now the klipsch S4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back