Are the Meelectronics M11+ meant to sound like this UUUUGGGGGHHHHH!
Sep 14, 2010 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Beyerfan70

100+ Head-Fier
I just had to share my thoughts on these as after waiting ages for this brand to be available here in the uk i finally got to try some although now i wish i had not.
Firstly though i must say how nice the build was of the iem's which were nice and sturdy snd the cable which was one of the best ive seen with little microphonics when worn down and none when worn over the ear so that was real nice.
The ten pairs of tips included as well was a real nice touch as well what a pity that none of them actually fitted properly but that was the tip of the iceberg.
I'd read many reviews and thoughts about these and even though i'm a huge ety fan i just fancied something a bit more fun for a change and all the talk about them being bass heavy sounded just what i needed...Something different.
Things did not get off to a good start though as i went through every single tip included and not one sealed whether i wore them up or down, nothing so that wasn't a good way to kick things off, fortunately i had my ue silicone and my senn double flange (Thicker than the mee version) and with these i achieved a nice seal at last
My first impression was god these sound tinny and full of sibilance to the point where i could not listen to them at all as the treble was unbearable and as an ety fan i love my treble but this was ridiculous so i changed tips to the senn ones and tried again to no avail, sure the bass was there and very strong but it wasn't the bass that dominated it was the awful treble and after about a minute i had to take them out,
Since then ive tried every tip i can think of (And i have tons) and none of them cure the treble problem.
Now it's quite feaseable i have a faulty pair because everything ive read about these states they are bass heavy and one person saying they were bright but lordy surely not this bad.
Like i said i love my treble but this is ridiculous and frankly downright painful, Surely they should not sound like this
Unless they have changed the tuning of them again i can only think these are faulty because if they are not they have the worst and most sibilant treble of all time YUK.
triportsad.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 15
Did you burn-in the Meelec M11+? I read here on Head-Fi Meelec earphones in general really need a burn-in before sounding right. In another topic somebody complained about the sound quality of his M9's. I hope Meelecs production quality ain't slipping down for some reason...

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 15
My M9 did tone down some, but after 120+ hours, it still is a bit hot in the 8-10 kHz range, and not nearly as smooth as the Ety MC5.  So compared to the ER-4, it will probably sound grainy and hot.

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the reply bud, As for the burn in the answer is no cause imo there is no such thing, all this about burn in makes no difference at all, if they are good they are good and if they are bad they are bad, for instance my ie8 sound exactly the same now as when i first had them ages ago, All this i hear how the bass did this and the mids did that and the treble calmed down is a bit much to be honest although if it works for you then i have no problems with that but for me there is no such thing, It's all in your mind
L3000.gif

Yeah just read that post you kindly quoted and even though these are a different model i can see where he is coming from as i cannot get the praise these are getting either.
I'm starting to think these are not faulty and just plain bad and to be frank a complete waste of money hell for an extra £15 i could have got another pair of mc5's! quite sickening really oh well.
The mc5 smooth? no i find them quite exciting and the opposite to be honest and these don't sound hot and grainy they are unbearable compared to ANY of my other iem's dynamic or b/a which is what made me think they were faulty.
Anyway i'll give em the benefit of the doubt and try again but to be honest i think these will most likely be hit with a big hammer,,,Now that will be fun.lol.

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm sorry to hear. Regarding burn in, it seems to depend for each dynamic driver whenever it has effect. For example my Sennheiser CX400's didn't chance however my Sony MDR-EX082's got a lot smoother. I can't give you any touchable/physical evidence but it might be worth a try.

Other then that, sorry about the fact you regret your purchase.

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear. Regarding burn in, it seems to depend for each dynamic driver whenever it has effect. For example my Sennheiser CX400's didn't chance however my Sony MDR-EX082's got a lot smoother. I can't give you any touchable/physical evidence but it might be worth a try.

Other then that, sorry about the fact you regret your purchase.

Thanks for your kind words

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
The mc5 smooth? no i find them quite exciting and the opposite to be honest and these don't sound hot and grainy they are unbearable compared to ANY of my other iem's dynamic or b/a which is what made me think they were faulty.

Well, descriptions of sound are relative to what each person is hearing, expecting, and trying to describe.  I will say the first M9 I got sounded like an echo factory -- very weird sounding. I stuck with them a week or so and emailed Meelec.com and they said my description didn't sound right -- sent me a new pair on the spot for returning the old pair.  The 2nd pair sounded right.  So, it's possible that you did get a messed up set.  Even if you are in the UK, you might try emailing them to talk about what you are hearing -- they just might send you a new set.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 15
I've only used the M9, so I can't comment directly on the M11+.  However, the M9 needed a decent amount of break in effort to fully loosen them up.  As well, the M9 runs a driver that has very little linear range.  Even at medium listening levels they are being pushed beyond their clean output range.  Quiet, sound quality was excellent, well defined, good sound stage, etc.  Once I hit even medium listening levels sound stage started going out the window, tonality brightened up, and overall SQ took a nose dive and replaced by noisy crap.  Basically, they were great for low level listening, but they are bound to that.  Anyone who listens to audio quietly will enjoy them and find them to be good.  Anyone who likes to listen to them at medium to loud levels will find them pretty terrible sounding.

If I were to take a guess, I might think the M11+ may follow a similar design limitation, if the driver is similar/same.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 15
I'm highly doubting that burn in will help. I am sensitive to harsh/tinny treble. My 11+ treble is nicely detailed but not harsh. I'm betting you have a defective pair. Give MEElectronics a call. I had an issue with my first pair of M6's. They sent out a new pair the next day before they got the defective ones back. Great customer service.

Good luck.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
I've only used the M9, so I can't comment directly on the M11+.  However, the M9 needed a decent amount of break in effort to fully loosen them up.  As well, the M9 runs a driver that has very little linear range.  Even at medium listening levels they are being pushed beyond their clean output range.  Quiet, sound quality was excellent, well defined, good sound stage, etc.  Once I hit even medium listening levels sound stage started going out the window, tonality brightened up, and overall SQ took a nose dive and replaced by noisy crap.  Basically, they were great for low level listening, but they are bound to that.  Anyone who listens to audio quietly will enjoy them and find them to be good.  Anyone who likes to listen to them at medium to loud levels will find them pretty terrible sounding.

If I were to take a guess, I might think the M11+ may follow a similar design limitation, if the driver is similar/same.

Very possible. The M6 is the same way, it sounds best at low volume. That said, I've always thought the point of actual in-ears (as opposed to ear buds) is to give the listener the ability to listen to music quietly, even in loud environments. With that in mind, lstening to music at high volume with IEMs seems like a silly proposition. So at least for me, the fact that my M6 don't sound good at high volume is a non-issue.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 15
Really it's just a cheap driver with limited linear throw.  The sound quality is good just as long as it stays within the linear range of motion.  Once you step beyond that, things go downhill quickly.  Yes, the intent of IEMs is to lower the noise floor to hear better.  People still like blaring their IEMs too, so quiet listening isn't always the case.  Many IEMs can get dangerously loud cleanly.  Not many are all that constrained in output.  The M9 was due to the low linear range, an expected thing for the price point.  The only other earphone I've used that was limited was the Denon C700, but that was because the driver was a very loosely controlled design that would use a ton of throw with low frequency information.  Bass gets muddy pretty quick with low damping at higher volumes, but that driver is actually decent and generally capable.  It was more a side-effect of the design choice for the driver and setup.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 15
^Yeah, of course many good IEMs can get dangerously loud cleanly, and lots of people like listening to their top-tier IEMs at very loud volumes. I just happen to think partaking in such tomfoolery is silly (and dangerous).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back