are the k701's for me?
Apr 29, 2007 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

XENOPHOS

100+ Head-Fier
I've had the dt880's for about a week now and I really like their sound, but they can be kind of bright sometimes. I really love the clarity and detail of the dt880's but I find the treble to be too forward I guess is how they say it. I've heard that the dt880's are clearer than the k701's but by how much? some people say they can be boring/lifeless, but what amp would bring them to life? alot of questions but are they for me?

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 21
That's why they always say....."Sorry about your wallet."

Anyway, the K701 is known for having solid bass, great mids (AKG is a mids king), and a very slight recess in the highs, or a "veil", therefore you'll probably enjoy them if you find the DT880 at all bright.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 21
ok, but what is defined by 'mids'? are the details on par with the dt880 or less? what type of amp would be good with them to make them maybe more interesting?
sorry for all the questions, buti'm just not sure if I should get the k701.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 21
just get the 701s! They are incredibly detailed and revealing, wide sounstage, and they have excellent bass response! Just be sure to burn them in properly, and also select a GOOD amp (i.e. RSA amp, Meier audio,etc...). I would even go so far as to say they are a notch ABOVE the dt880s! But once again, they take a while to settle in.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just get the 701s! They are incredibly detailed and revealing, wide sounstage, and they have excellent bass response! Just be sure to burn them in properly, and also select a GOOD amp (i.e. RSA amp, Meier audio,etc...). I would even go so far as to say they are a notch ABOVE the dt880s! But once again, they take a while to settle in.

What he said. The slight veil I mentioned can easily be lifted with a good amp.

Also the K701 needs a hell of a lot of burn in.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 21
When you say settle in, you mean break in and not getting used to them right? how do they do with say a corda aria? or would a tube amp be better to get to make them more exciting. now all I need to do is find someone that will trade k701's for a dt880. I've only had it for 8 days now and used it like an hour or 2 each day .

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 21
when we say settle in they need to be ran continually for 300 hrs for them to loosen up a little. i guess it has something to do with the flat wire voice coil. i got mine and the first week just let them run continually and listened to them periodically. i almost sent them back several times, but kept them becouse headfi said to be patient. and sure enough after about two weeks they opened up and sound nuetral with nice tight bass. really love the sound. just remember to really baby them. akg has virually no customer service. my headband is broke and only 2 months old, and ive called and emailed company numerous times and no response. ive heard beyers have same problem though, as far as customer service that is. i do know grado has incredible service, so would recommend grado any day. hope this helps
blink.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 21
Basically what BigD said. They need a LOT of burn-in, otherwise they sound congested and pretty much unlistenable.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 21
I didn't have the best of experiences withe the K701. I found them open and airy, but somewhat lifeless and lacklustre. As I described elsewhere, what I felt was that it had a massive and open soundstage with lots of air, but that there wasn't enough "sound" the fill that wide expanse....sometimes giving the sense of being empty or thin.

Another perception I have was that it was as if the music was very well extracted (i.e. detailed) but then painted on a rather flat canvas - somewhat two dimensional, lacking presence.

I keep thinking though that a) they may not have have the zillion hours suggested burn-in
tongue.gif
and b) at the time I had the PS Audio GCHA amplifier, which was incredibly detailed, but very neutral....sometimes too much so, to the point of being boring.

I am also rather interested in what people report on the recabled 701; whether it be the Silver Dragon, Black Dragon, or Equinox.

Cheers,
X

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #11 of 21
Bah, I just got the HD280 Pro for isolation purposes and learned I don't much like closed cans at all.

I was thinking of getting the DT880 or 990... almost all of my audio is purely vocal, though (no instrumental, in other words). Would the 701's be better than the 880's/990's in that regard?

- lk

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 21
I haven't heard the Beyer's so I can't say "better", but the K701 sounds great on just about everything I listen to. They're properly burned in (well over 300 hours) and, now, decently amped. I've got no urge to look for anything else.

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

The K701 is a more detailed version of the DT880, with larger soundstage and more neutral treble response. I've A/B compared them and preferred the K701.

Well said. I prefer the K701, but I'd have to say that the DT880 has the most impressive soundstage I've ever heard - as if the instruments were at a discrete distance, giving them elegance; moreover, the comfort is notably better. How can you possibly go wrong with either?

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 21
I too am very much into female vocals. As mentioned above, when I heard the 701's the music was somewhat 2D, as if the entire presentation was a little recessed, a litte polite, lacking punch and bite. I guess amplification is abosultely crucial.

I'd also like to know how they are with tube amps - not ones which are overly warm, smooth, or euphonic - but those which render female vocals in a velvety and accurate manner.

Out of interest, has anyone compared these to the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back