Are the HF-2/650/701 the Headphone Trinity?
Nov 28, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #16 of 69

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Posts
8,336
Likes
478
I will never hear the Orpheus, but surely it must be the most ambitious headphone to make it into production ? I dont know how many were made, or if anyone on Head-Fi has a pair, but you can still find the odd reference to them from old timers who hold them as the pinnacle which all subsequent headphones have aspired to. Anything that costs that much money and doesnt have wheels just couldnt be justified in my mind, but I'm sure the remaining owners would disagree.
 
Nov 28, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #18 of 69

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 1, 2006
Posts
1,684
Likes
96
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You reach a point where amps and DACs become a lot more interesting than cans, but my 'trinity' looks like this:

K501, HD600, RS1i.



Your affordable trinity looks like the bass-lite version of the OP's.
 
Nov 28, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 69

jinp6301

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Posts
3,910
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more post about how wonderful the SR225 is and I just might buy a pair. Or not.
very_evil_smiley.gif



I would take the HF-2 over the 225 any way and the HF-2 over the RS-1 as well :p
 
Nov 28, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #22 of 69

baka1969

Chaser of Ghosts
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Posts
3,443
Likes
84
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushYYZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the sound of your picks OP. I just finished my own personal "trinity" (325is, k272hd, EW7) and decided it was time to finally join Head-Fi. My wallet is already sorry.


welcome 2 Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Nov 28, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #24 of 69

RushYYZ

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 27, 2009
Posts
21
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
welcome 2 Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif



Thanks! I'm actually trying really hard not to go out and buy the AKG K701/2 right now. I came up on Grados and only recently realized that each of the major brands offer such unique ways to enjoy the same music. Its almost necessary as a "headphone adventurer" to have some flagship models from all of them because there's a real diversity to be found.
 
Nov 28, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #25 of 69

baka1969

Chaser of Ghosts
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Posts
3,443
Likes
84
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushYYZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I'm actually trying really hard not to go out and buy the AKG K701/2 right now. I came up on Grados and only recently realized that each of the major brands offer such unique ways to enjoy the same music. Its almost necessary as a "headphone adventurer" to have some flagship models from all of them because there's a real diversity to be found.


Each one can help you discover new things in your music.
 
Nov 28, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #26 of 69

plaidplatypus

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Posts
1,032
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will never hear the Orpheus, but surely it must be the most ambitious headphone to make it into production ? I dont know how many were made, or if anyone on Head-Fi has a pair, but you can still find the odd reference to them from old timers who hold them as the pinnacle which all subsequent headphones have aspired to. Anything that costs that much money and doesnt have wheels just couldnt be justified in my mind, but I'm sure the remaining owners would disagree.


The HE Audio Jade comes very close to the HE90. If you need something that spins you could put a propeller on top, like a beanie.

I like the RS-1 better than the HF-2 on the WA6.
 
Nov 28, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #27 of 69

RushYYZ

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 27, 2009
Posts
21
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Each one can help you discover new things in your music.


Right! Totally! The glaring differences in presentation between the K272 and the 325is' on the same source equipment made that seriously apparent to me. I was amazed that even though the 272 is technically "inferior", there were things I heard that I never had with any of the Grados I've owned.

Now I'm concerned about how much money I'm going to end up spending. I got the ES7s today, and they're the first ATs that I've tried. Simply put, I love them. And I love that they don't sound like Grados or AKGs.

Sigh...
 
Nov 28, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #28 of 69

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Posts
8,336
Likes
478
Rush, the ES7s have their moments but I found that I tired of them fairly quickly - mine sit in the cupboard and will soon go to a new home, free of charge (GFs sister has small ears - perfect !). I do like the bass on the ES7, but the ESW9/ESW10 is where I'd be going for closed cans if I explore the AT universe again. Beyerdynamic also make some very underrated cans, if you put aside the Head-Fi obsession with the various DT880 models.
 
Nov 28, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #29 of 69

lauinbeta

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Posts
175
Likes
11
I tire of the ES7's quickly as well and i've been thinking of selling them for a while but never really wanted to let them go.
back to the original topic Brighten posted something about a trinity a while ago "Flame me if you will, but every time I see the Senn, AKG and Grado trio, I always think of Bulbasaur (HD-650), Squirtle (K-701) and Charmander (RS-1)."
 
Nov 28, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #30 of 69

wang228

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Posts
401
Likes
11
I've also been enjoying the trinity of Senn/Grado/AKG for a few years. They cover almost everything for me,.... though life would never be complete without stax/electrostatics.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top