Are the HD650's forgiving?
Sep 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #16 of 25
In my experience the HD-650 were the most forgiving headphones I heard. And I heard them with many different amps (SS, hybrid and tubes). Some amps may make them sound more detailed but never harsh.

More forgiving than them you will have to insert pillows between your ears and headphone drivers...

Beware that I'm in the camp of those that feel they sound "veiled".
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #17 of 25
I think they're a little forgiving, but not all that much. And I think they are a bit veiled, but my opinion is that most people think they lack detail, and are veiled, etc, because they are used to headphones that accentuate the treble in ways that throws micro detail right in your face. The HD650 has just as much detail as most other cans, but the micro details are in teh background, so it takes a little investigating.

I'ts like if you're used to eating really salty food, when you have something that is moderately salted, it will taste really bland.

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 25
Some find the HD 650 have quite some rolled off treble so yes you are right. It´s the most efficient way to make a headphone sound smooth anyway. It works on all headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #19 of 25
my point is just that if you have gotten used to the exaggerated treble of headphones like the denons, audio technicas, grados, K701, etc, then the treble roll off on the HD650 is going to sound more severe than it actually is.

But if you let your ears adjust to the different sound, the detail is all still there. Not that this is better, it's a matter of preference of course how you want to hear micro details.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 25
Indeed. Bright treble is often confused with detail initially by less experienced listeners. The HD650 have a warm signature but just as detailed as my AD2000, perhaps not as textured and not as up front because of their sense of distance, but certainly more forgiving and smooth overall. Sibilance, bright recordings or poor quality older scratchy recordings are quite nicely dealth with. They do scale well with higher quality recordings, source and amp, but the HD650 has never sounded harsh in my experience.

The HD650 sounds great with the WA6, I am sure you will enjoy the pairing.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #21 of 25
I don't want to change anybody's decision, but the HD600 will be more balanced, have tighter bass, and slightly more detail, and are a lot cheaper.

But yeah both are somewhat relaxed sounding, but I wouldn't say smooth. It's just my opinion.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to change anybody's decision, but the HD600 will be more balanced, have tighter bass, and slightly more detail, and are a lot cheaper.

Says you.
In my experience those qualities describe the 650, except for the 'a lot cheaper' part.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #23 of 25
I guess it's all a matter of opinion. The HD650 is still a good 'phone though. I just don't like the bass, it seems to kill some micro details..

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd agree with you on everything there except detail. Despite the HD650s less neutral sound signature, I hear more detail once I get over the reduced treble and warm bass.

To the OP: I bought the 650s specifically because they are relaxing. Warm sound signature makes for very comfortable listening.

They are very capable phones and scale alot, I agree with Uncle Erik. But on consumer equipment they are very soothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back