Are the HD 590's as good as they look?
Oct 16, 2002 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

DarkWolf

500+ Head-Fier
Like I said in my post reguarding my new sound card, I need some high quality headphones to use wiht it, but I don't really want to buy an amp.

The Sennheiser HD 590's seem to fit the bill perfectly based on the specs and the few things I've heard about them. They have low power consumption, exelent frequency responce, they're very comfortable looking, they're open, they look cool... I'm running out of criterea here.
wink.gif

I haven't heard them though. I still want good all around sound, tight low bass, solid mid range and accurate, detailed highs. I hear these are a little bright but not so much so. I think I can deal with that no problem. I can also get them a bit below $200, which is great. I'm willing to go as high as around $250 (HD 600?) But I'm not sure anything in that range really fits the bill without shelling out a lot more for an amp.

Anyting anyone can tell me about them will be great. Other recomendations for my needs will be quite welcome too. Thanks.

Oct 16, 2002 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 23
The hd590 sure is good.. but my impression is that for that money, Dt250-80 is a much better purchase, IMO. I have compared the 2 few months ago and finally decided the dt250-80(similar sound to hd600 except its closed).
I feel that the hd590 is sound pretty flat...bright, and less exciting but nevertheless if you are looking for it because it fits your criteria. Then , why not! some people say they are overpriced but I think they are just great.. comfy , cool looking, amp independant, however I'm not really fan of the sound.

You should try everything in that price range and compare them with the hd590.. don't just buy because it looks nice.. you might wanna look into beyer dt250-80 as I have mentioned.

just my 2 cents.

Oct 16, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 23
Ya, I'd like to learn more about the Beyerdynamic phones as well. Some of them look pretty good. It's important that they can be driven well with a low powered amp so that I don't need to buy one. I also need to find a place where I can try out lots of models.. The new DT 880 and 990's look like they'll be good too. Do you know how good the sound placement is on the HD 590's and ohers? That's of some importance as well.

Oct 16, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 23
I have both, go with the 250-80. The price is the same and the sound is much better out of the 258-80, not to mention they are easier to drive.

If you need to hear what is going on around you i would suggest the 590's

Oct 16, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 23
So you have the Dt 250 and the HD 590's and you like the 250 better? In what way is it different? And while I'd love to have an open desighn that lets me hear what's going on around me, it doesn't take a back seat to quality. Thanks for the help so far guys, keep it comming.

Oct 16, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 23
I too have mulled the DT250-80 vs. 590 dillemma. And I've wondered.... maybe I just don't need either one. Maybe I should be satisfied with what I have. What am I missing? I've just got these sub-$100 headphones. I wonder, what's the best out there between $100 and $200? How do the 250-80 and 590 sound with classical music? I got to hear the 250-80 at Hirsch's headphone meet, and it was indeed a very smooth and accurate and alluring, though relatively dark, sound.
cool.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 23
Ok, it seems like the 590 isn't the best choice, word on the street is that Senn's sound layed back and that's not exactly what I'm after. I want a little more kick, but not so much as to mess up smooth matirial. Like I said, I listen to a lot of music ranging from instrumental and classical to techno and 80's dance. (there, I've said it.) Jazz is nice, rock and roll is nice. Basicaly, you name it, and if it's not country or rap or MTV's teen mind washing crap, there is a very good chance that I either do listen to it or should. I like Blue Man group a lot as well, and the Terratec DMX 6-Fire does wonders for them, so I'm glad I bought it. Easy drivability is high on the list as I've said, I can't afford to get good headphones and a good amp. Plus i want to cut down on the clutter, that's suposed to be part of the apeal with headphones.
wink.gif

One question, the Beyerdynamic models are often refred to as sounding "dark." Can anyone elaborate on that? I get most of the jargan, but I can't quite visualize "dark." Thanks again people!

Oct 16, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 23
Dark means a balance toward the bass. Maybe it corresponds to the lower midrange getting more emphasis than the upper midrange, or a midbass hump, or maybe it has to do with where the upper treble starts to roll off, or maybe all of the above. You just get to know it when you hear it.

You could try a pair of Sennheiser HD 497s... they seem to do the trick for a lot of people, including me. They're not dark, they're relatively bright (the opposite of dark) but not too much so. And they have a good dose of kick. They run about $60 or $70 and don't need an amp. They are comfortable for some people and not others. I've had to stretch mine out and now they are very comfortable, but it wasn't easy.

Edit: While Sennheisers (580s especially) are generally known as laid back, the 590s and the 497s are not reputed to be laid back.

I wouldn't discourage you away from the 590s as quickly as some would. I haven't heard them, but I've heard enough good things about them to be suspicious of opinions that dismiss them out of hand. However, they don't seem to be a "safe bet" to buy if you haven't heard them first.

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 23
I'm not an audiophile like many of these guys are, but I am extremely happy with my Sennheiser HD580s. Ive had them running for about 30 hours of burn in time and they sound like a completely different pair of headphones from when they came out of the box. Now i need an amp for them. =)

Oct 16, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew LB
I'm not an audiophile like many of these guys are, but I am extremely happy with my Sennheiser HD580s. Ive had them running for about 30 hours of burn in time and they sound like a completely different pair of headphones from when they came out of the box. Now i need an amp for them. =)

The HD 580's are NOT the same headphones as the HD 590's. They are very different from each other.

Oct 16, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 23
Well suppose the bottom line, once again, is that I need to find a place to try out several of the things on my list. By the way, I decided that I would help my self out by compiling a list of makes and models along with the lowest prices I've found for each and comments that I've heard from several people. Here is what I have so far, if people want to give me things to add to it, alog with comments, that will be great.

Sennheiser: "High quality, comforatable, but people say they're layed back."
HD 590 ----------- $175 (easy to drive, look really cool, good specs.)
HD 600 ----------- $240 (very high quality, but need amp.)

Beyerdynamic: "Also High quality and comfortable, often said to be bright."
DT 250/80 -------- $155 (quality should be high, characteristics unknown, shouldn't need amp.)
DT 831 ----------- $145 (now sure how close this is to 931, 880 and 990, but they're supposed to be good. not sure about amp requirements.)
DT 931 ----------- $175 (same as 831, but these are suposed to be better in some way? not sure.)
DT 990 ----------- $150 (similar to DT 800's and 900's but don't know too much.)

Oct 17, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 23
I have the 831's and wouldn't suggest them. The 931's would be good if paired with a specific type of amp; I hear they kick ass with a Corda Blue. The 580 is similar to the 600, but cheaper. The DT770 Pro is the "better" (so people say) version of the 831 -- instead of being bright, it's heaven for the bass-head, and pretty balanced... but it's still closed.

I dunno. I have DT831, and Sennheiser HD565 (discontinued). My next upgrade, since I dont listen when i need isolation a bunch, will probably be for a 931 and a nice amp to go with em, or 770 if i find myself needing to listen in peace and quiet.

Oct 17, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
The DT770 Pro is the "better" (so people say) version of the 831 -- instead of being bright, it's heaven for the bass-head, and pretty balanced... but it's still closed.

The DT831 and DT770 are very different headphones. They look somewhat similar, but are about as different as two headphones could be
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 23
i think what darkwolf needs is a place to audition these different phones and decide what sound profile he likes most. i have no idea where anything is in MA except MIT in boston where my ex-gf goes to school and the legal seafoods rite next to their campus, so dun ask me...
rolleyes.gif
any veteran head-fiers around MA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back