Are the Grado SR60s not very good for rap music?
Apr 11, 2010 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Raptorsfan20

New Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a relatively cheap (around $100) new pair of headphones and came across many great reviews of the Grado SR60s. However, I mostly listen to rap music and have heard they are primarily geared towards rock/jazz. Do the SR60s not sound great with rap, and if not, are there better models in this price range?

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 13
I enjoy rap with my Grados. That isn't to say there aren't better phones for the job, you might want something with more bass, but the Grados won't disappoint.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 13
why not SR80i? it has bigger bass than SR60i and still in your budget

or you also can try Alessandro MS1i if prefer smooth high (again, still in your budget)
biggrin.gif

note: when you hear that Grado Lab productions good for Rock and Acoustic songs, it doesn't mean they are bad for another genre
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 13
I think for rap, I would recommend you go with the creative aurvana Lives, available for about 55 from costco and amazon, which are essentially the same as the lauded Denon D1001: Amazon.com: Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones: Electronics

I think it's pretty funny how much worse the Amazon reviews are for the CAL than the D1001, while head-fi members whove heard the two have described them as nearly identical lol(because they are).

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptorsfan20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking to buy a relatively cheap (around $100) new pair of headphones and came across many great reviews of the Grado SR60s. However, I mostly listen to rap music and have heard they are primarily geared towards rock/jazz. Do the SR60s not sound great with rap, and if not, are there better models in this price range?

if you love "in-your-face" sound signature like me, go to Grado (or Alessandro), otherwise get other brands instead
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 13
You can currently get an open-box SR80i for $80 at listenup and having heard both I would recommend them for rap over the SR60i. That said, Napilopez is right - the CAL!s work wonders with rap as well.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 13
I think that grados sound great for rap. The fact that they are so in your face makes the vocals really stand out which is always a plus. But if you are looking for the impactful bass aka the kind that vibrates your ears then i would recommend looking elsewhere maybe ultrasones. But i haven't really heard any in the under $100.

From what i can remember i really liked the zinos.

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that grados sound great for rap. The fact that they are so in your face makes the vocals really stand out which is always a plus. But if you are looking for the impactful bass aka the kind that vibrates your ears then i would recommend looking elsewhere...

Grados are great for rock music. For rap, yeah the rapper is shouting at your ears, because it has forward mids. But the lyrics is very clear. I assume there are other options for this type of music out there. You may try the bass RnB headphones like Denons & Ultrasones as some said.
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that grados sound great for rap. The fact that they are so in your face makes the vocals really stand out which is always a plus. But if you are looking for the impactful bass aka the kind that vibrates your ears then i would recommend looking elsewhere...

Grados are great for rock music. For rap, yeah the rapper is shouting at your ears, because it has forward mids. But the lyrics is very clear. I assume there are other options for this type of music out there. You may try the bass RnB headphones like Denons as some said.
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 13
I would really recommend the 780s if you can stretch your budget or get them used...listening to murs for president is always a treat with that set of cans

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 13
If it's big bass you're looking for, then I would say don't go for the SR60s. I imagine it would be better coming from an amped source, but SR60s on an iPod was a bad match for me. I also was not a fan of the open back design, which allows a great deal of outside noise in.

I found out that IEMs are a much better choice for my needs. The Grados are unfortunately collecting dust. I imagine they would be spectacular for very detailed music in a quiet environment; jazz or classical comes to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back