Are the foam tips the same size for all the IEMs?
Feb 28, 2006 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EightyOne

Head-Fier
Because I remember the foam tips for the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro made my ears hurt like mad. The pain would last for hours after taking them out of my ears. I'm just wondering if all the other IEMs have foam tips that are as thick as the SF5's, because I really can't tolerate those at all. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 9
The Super.Fi's seemed a little different to me, but the Shure and Ety tips are very similar--I've put Ety tips (of the ER-4 variety) on Shure E4's (and vice-versa) without any trouble. The Super.Fi's have a wider bore, if I remember correctly...but comfort-wise they weren't a significant departure from the Shure's or Ety's. I'm most comfortable using medium-large tips, so I usually choose large foamies or medium flanges.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 9
I couldn't use the rubber tips. They wouldn't stick in my ears well. The EX51's stick in my ears perfectly and they just disappear within any sensation at times. I wish UE would have made their rubber tips as well as Sony's, but I hear that the bass is not as good with those tips as compared with the foam ones.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Does anyone else know if the rubber tips for the Shure's stay in better than the UE's? And please don't tell me that I need to wet them first, because I can't really be doing that in public. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Maybe you need the flange type tips as found on the Etymotic ER-6is. These stay in quite well and some even find them difficult to take out.

eek.gif

er6i-side.jpg

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 9
Shure E3, E4, E5, Etymotic ER6, ER6i, ER4p, ER4s, and Westone UM2 all use the same tip size (although it's a slight squeeze to get the tips on the ER6 and ER6i). Tips from any of the companies are interchangable onto any of the others.

The ultra soft Shure E2 tips can be squeezed onto the Super.Fis but the Super.Fi tips are slightly too big for the E2.

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino
Found out the hard way that Shure yellow foams don't fit the Altec IM716. They're too narrow. Altec doesn't seem to sell foam tips.

The tips for the ER6 don't work on the iM716 either. They only fit on part way and fall right off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back