Are the E5 Comparable to the A900LTD?
Mar 22, 2006 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RB26DETT

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am intending to get a pair of E5, problem is that I dont know whether they are suitable for me.

A little background, I have came from the EX51 -> E4 -> A900LTD, and they have all been straight out from the G5 iPod.
I must say I enjoy bass, and for that didn't like the E4, just too bright for me. Sold them within 2 weeks. Then I got the A900LTD, which served me well, very warm, bass is not over boomy, but strong enough. [size=xx-small]Maybe a little more bass would not be that bad.. [/size]
icon10.gif
tongue.gif

Synergy of the A900LTD have also been good.
One thing I do not like about the A900LTD are that they sound a little airy, it does not feel as "compact" as compared to an IEM.
But I need more isolation. Have thought of the Super.fi 5 pro, but the wires of the phones look very weak. And am afraid that it will go like how my EX51 did. Though I understand I can get a pair of replacement wires easily. So in the end, I chose the E5 (which to me is built like a tank, like the E4).

But I am afraid the E5 will be like the E4 (BRIGHT!!). The E5 is the warmest of Shure's E's line (corect?) but how much a difference?

Understand that it will be unfair to compare full sized cans with IEMs, but I really need advise. I dont want to end up like what I did to the E4. Can anyone please help..?

I listen to alot of Rap/R&B, Rock, Electronic and Retro FYI.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 8
E5 are much warmer than E4. I found the E4 too Bright for my tastes, and did not extend enough into deep bass. I'd take a good look at the Westone UM2 if your considering E5. They are cheaper new and offer a slightly more refined presentation. That said, the E5 will not disapoint if you can get a good deal on them. Also to consider, the E5 are more durable than the UM2 and carry a 2 year warranty versus the UM2's 1 year.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Figure you like the e5s and there isn't really anything else in the price range comparable. The e5s are warm and I personally wouldn't go with the UM2's because they are pretty dark sounding compared to e5s. There is a loss of detail with e5s compared to the A900. Also the treble just isn't as present. Overall the e5s are good choice and I like the two year warranty. Currently my GF using them. I had the A900s and sold them when I moved on to different headphones.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 8
Or, you could wait for the E500.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 8
By far the biggest complaint about the Shure E4 is lack of bass. Super.fi 5 pros are what I went with. The only downfall of these nice IEMs is that they stick out of your ears.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Or, you could wait for the E500.

That was what I was thinking about too. But it will be to pricy...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back