are the beyerDT250-80's worth the extra 80$ over senn hd280pro's?
May 6, 2004 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kemical

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide, I'd spend $180 if I knew they'd be really awesome, but the senn's seem like a more justifiable buy since I dont have a way of actually testing them beforehand, I spent $80 on some grado sr80's about a year ago, which were a nice change from my koss 35's..

but now I need something sealed, because of work.. (and also because i just want more headphones
biggrin.gif
).. to other people the grado's probably sound like i have a pair of desktop speakers going...

Also I think I might want a different sounding pair of headphones for a change, the sr80s seem to lean towards the treble stuff more than bass (they are powered from an audigy2 directly or through some 2.1 speakers) not sure if that is weakening the sound, probably not though..
I think I want a more smooth, open sound (with hardly any background noise).

generally something that is good for all ranges of music.. from dark ambient seclusion, to black metal or electronic industrial stuff or classical.. etc..
and i'm not somone who likes the over emphasized bass or trebel, just something leaning towards an even/slightly warm/"around my head like i'm there" sound.. I'm starting to sound picky
smily_headphones1.gif

I've visited this forum every once and a while for a couple years or more, so I know how there are lots of these types of posts, I've searched and looked at people's comments but I just thought I'd post, I think I'm leaning towards the hd280pro...

also, i like how both mentioned headphones look, the hd280pro's look smaller which i like (and look the best of the 2 imo..), but its worth mentioning that i really like how my grado sr80's look, they have a kind of old rugged thing going, although they arent actually as rugged as they appear, since its easy for the earpads to come off, or the plastic rubber tips, and the wires feel like they can get ripped out... but they look and sound cool at least
biggrin.gif
now i'm really sounding picky...

May 6, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 18
I did a review of the HD280 compared to the Beyerdynamic DT250-80 - it was my first post here almost 2 years ago - check it out here
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=hd280+beyer

I bought the HD280 because I wanted closed cans for work and selected them based only on what I read. After one week I bought the Beyers and returned the Senns - I still have the Beyers. Read the review to see why and what fit my needs to see if your needs are similar.

You might also wish to consider the Sony V6 (also same as Sony 7506), AKG271S, and ATH-A900

Hope this helps.

May 6, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 18
You can get the DT250-80 for $150, and the HD280 for significantly less than $100, though I'm not entirely sure what it runs for nowadays.
That being said, you are mistaken about the size; the DT250-80s are much smaller than the HD280. You look human wearing the beyers, but an alien wearing the HD280.
tongue.gif

Isolation on HD280 is much better than on the DT250. However, sound leak is minimal in both cases.
DT250 is much more comfortable to wear, unless you have huge ears.

I've only listened to the HD280 briefly, so I can't comment much on the sound. The DT250-80 has a darkish sound with rolled-off highs and extreme lows. It is very unfatiguing, but can also be groovy if necessary. Soundstaging is not particularly good, but certainly better than grados.

May 6, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 18
I just ordered my second pair of DT250-250's from www.fullcompass.com for $149.30 shipped. B and H has 'em for about $148.60 or something if it makes much difference to you
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard any single headphone from Sennheiser nor have I the DT250-80 but I can vouche for the DT250-250's (twice!).

May 6, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 18
I'd also recommend the DT250/250 over the /80 - the latter seems a bit too restricted in the treble area...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 6, 2004 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 18
The HD280 can be had very cheaply so compared to many other phones in the <$200 range, it represents superior value. They are an acquired taste in many ways I think, and generally too big for portable use (you've clearly not seen them 'in the flesh').

I would recommend the Sennheiser HD25-1 over the DT250-80 (which I've compared directly against the HD25-1/HD280/PXC250/A900/HFI-650/V700/7509/7506) any day of the week. More portable, lighter, easier to drive, more extended, more punch yet more clarity, more isolation. The only tradeoff is a slight loss in comfort due to the supraaural (sits on the ear) design. Once you get used to it it's not a big deal.

If you want the DT250-80 sound for portable use, the Sennheiser PXC250 is a better bet. Superior isolation in the lows, (not hugely different in other frequencies), similar sound / overall capability, similar 'ease of driving' despite the huge disparity in impedance, more portable (even comes with a bag that everything folds into)... and you can usually get it for less if you shop around.

May 6, 2004 at 8:45 AM Post #7 of 18
In my opinion, the 280's do fit your discription of what you are looking for but I think I'm one of the few defenders of the 280's...
280smile.gif

Keep in mind that if you only have them for a week like RunsWithScissors they will be unlikely to be fully burnt-in. For 280's that generally means they will sound pretty bad. Actually this seems to be the case for a lot of Senn phones. I've experienced it with the 280's and most notably both the PX200 and HD555's. If you do pick them up, put at least 200-300 hours on them before you decide if you're going to keep them or not.

May 6, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 18
I've heard both, and I think so.

The DT250-80s have a slightly warmer sound, a slightly more forward upper midrange, but overall the mids are better, and the highs are smoother.

The biggest advantage of 250-80s is the level of bass isnt affected as much by the level of seal you get; the HD280s can have either nearly zero bass or a lot of it depending on how well the seal is.

Plus the 250-80 is smaller with comfier pads.

Cheers,
Geek

May 6, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 18
I've owned all three of the headphones discussed here. I agree that the DT250-250 are the ones to have, if they fit over your ears. They just do everything well, except isolate. Not their strong suit.

I would rate the Sen hd280 as my second choice. Energetic sound, nice balance, deep bass (if they seal) easy to drive, and easy to carry. They fold up. otoh they are rather huge for such a small headphone.

The DT250-80 would be third. Muddy bass and poor detail in the mids made them unacceptable for me. They are not much easier to drive than the 250 ohm version.

I haven't compared them side by each, but I think I prefer the Ultrasone HFI650 to the Sen 280. Similar headphones with a similar design and fit. The Ultras have a more agressive treble, and more energy in the deep bass. This makes them nice for low level listening in the office. They also fold, tilt swivel, etc, and are very easy to drive.

gerG

May 6, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
I did a review of the HD280 compared to the Beyerdynamic DT250-80 - it was my first post here almost 2 years ago - check it out here
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=hd280+beyer

I bought the HD280 because I wanted closed cans for work and selected them based only on what I read. After one week I bought the Beyers and returned the Senns - I still have the Beyers. Read the review to see why and what fit my needs to see if your needs are similar.

You might also wish to consider the Sony V6 (also same as Sony 7506), AKG271S, and ATH-A900

Hope this helps.

You are the second person I've seen who quoted me in their signature. I must be the Zen Master of Head-Fi!
icon10.gif

May 6, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 18
Kemical, do you have a neck? I don't, I was cursed with no neck and the connector rubs on my shoulder at times when I wear the 258-80's.

Sound wise they are very nice, perfect for the office.

This being said I would entertain selling them w/ the original box and manuals. They are in perfect working order.

May 7, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 18
hmm the hd280's are off my list, now I'm just wondering about the dt250-250 (or the 80), I'm using an Audigy2 sound card at home and work.. not sure if that would be enough for powering them, and if I ever decided to get an amp it would have to be a cheap one.. I didn't realize amps cost so much money...
well, I'm still deciding and looking at the other mentioned headphones, thanks for all the replies
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 18
FWIW, I'm powering my DT250-250s with a cheap self-built cmoy, and am quite happy with the result for now. Looking forward to upgrading the amp someday, but definitely don't feel any urgency.

My one beef with these beyers is comfort. It's not bad, but not as good as my old KSC-35s, nor the AKG-271S that I demo'd.

pb

May 7, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
You are the second person I've seen who quoted me in their signature. I must be the Zen Master of Head-Fi!
icon10.gif

biggrin.gif

we now return to our regularly scheduled program...er...thread (sorry about off-topic post)

FWIW - the DT250-80 run fine out of my PC soundcard and out of my iPod. iPod volume is at good level (read reasonably loud but not friggin screaming) at 60%

May 8, 2004 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pastabatman
FWIW, I'm powering my DT250-250s with a cheap self-built cmoy, and am quite happy with the result for now. Looking forward to upgrading the amp someday, but definitely don't feel any urgency.

My one beef with these beyers is comfort. It's not bad, but not as good as my old KSC-35s, nor the AKG-271S that I demo'd.

pb

That's one complaint you barely see with these phones. Was it clamping pressure? I don't run into any of these problems... I think I have a skinny head.

These phones are super-comfy... that's why the pads are used on the V6's all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back