Are Sony headphones and earphones good? What do you think?
Jul 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 8
I believe Sony can make some good quality stuff, but you need to read up on the reviews to know which Sony stuff is good and which is just so-so quality stuff with a Sony label painted on.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 8
I believe most would want specific information on whichever model you intend to buy. Some people perceive "pricey" as $3000++, others may perceive it as $100++. Also pricey is not equivalent to good quality, and good quality to some may not seem good to others (bassheads vs treble heads vs audiophiles etc etc). Although in my opinion, Sony products are generally not bad and they do make products to suit a wide range of consumers. However this could be a good thing and a bad thing. If you know what you want and know what the product can give you, then its to your advantage. But if you dont know what you want and you have no idea how the earphones are going to sound, then you might just be wasting your money since you say its pricey. So bottom line, dont assume something is going to be good because its made by a certain brand or because its expensive, but instead understand the exact model/product by reading its reviews and seeking opinions from others (thats what this site is for!).

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I believe most would want specific information on whichever model you intend to buy. Some people perceive "pricey" as $3000++, others may perceive it as $100++. Also pricey is not equivalent to good quality, and good quality to some may not seem good to others (bassheads vs treble heads vs audiophiles etc etc). Although in my opinion, Sony products are generally not bad and they do make products to suit a wide range of consumers. However this could be a good thing and a bad thing. If you know what you want and know what the product can give you, then its to your advantage. But if you dont know what you want and you have no idea how the earphones are going to sound, then you might just be wasting your money since you say its pricey. So bottom line, dont assume something is going to be good because its made by a certain brand or because its expensive, but instead understand the exact model/product by reading its reviews and seeking opinions from others (thats what this site is for!).

Very good point, sorry about that, I'm considering buying the Sony XBA-4 earphones, availible for 250$ most places on the internet. A 350$ retail price. I'm also not assuming that these earphones will be good because their Sony, I'm just wondering if Sony has the kind of reputation that Sennheiser, or Shure, for example, has in the audio industry.

http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-XBA-4-Balanced-Armature-Earbuds/en/p/XBA4

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 8
Well to ascertain whether or not these earphones are good for you, perhaps you could provide us with some info about your music preference, preferred sound signature (laid back? Warm sound? Forward mids? Bright sounding? Dark sounding?) etc... As to whether Sony has the reputation that Sennheiser and Shure have in the audio industry, I would say no, but still relatively close.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 8
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608553/review-comparison-two-flagships-pass-in-the-night-sony-xba-4-review-vs-the-mdr-ex1000-updated-with-7550-and-xba-40

This review should provide you with a decent amount of info on the xba-4

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 8
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608553/review-comparison-two-flagships-pass-in-the-night-sony-xba-4-review-vs-the-mdr-ex1000-updated-with-7550-and-xba-40

This review should provide you with a decent amount of info on the xba-4

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 8
Thank you! I listen mostly to instrumental rock, and some melodic heavy metal, bu also classical piano muni, so I appreciate a warm and versatile. A tight punch bass, but not over the top. I would be using these with a Cowon J3 so I can adjust the EQ settings. I don't like boomy bass, I'm looking for tight even powerful bass when I need it, earphones with that kind of capability. But I want warmth to the sound in all of the areas, bass, mids, highs etc.. I'm not really an audiophile, I'm 20 and just getting into this. Im ugrading from a 180$ pair of Ultrasone HFI 580 over he ear cans. And I'm looking for something that has a wider frequency range. The Ulrasones having a 10hz-20Khz. Thank you for showing me he comparison as well. That was very helpful,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back