Are some CDs "bad" for mp3?
Jan 3, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoPoe
MP3 is more of a mimicing format than corrective so it makes sense that an imperfect source will lead to an imperfect copy.

Sorry... I just trolled and feel so dirty.
frown.gif

Considering there is no such thing as a corrective codec, this isn't surprising
rolleyes.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLP
I suggest using alt preset insane as a tester, and compare to the preset standard. That'll let you know if it's the bitrate or the original copy.

wouldn't 320 cbr q0 mp3 be better?

Jan 3, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
wouldn't 320 cbr q0 mp3 be better?

there is little difference between aps and apx/api on a decent setup. only those among us with the most refined of tastes insist on using lossless or original cds only.

Jan 3, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #20 of 24
hey...ya never know...I would Use Flac if it was smaller and I could here the difference. I am planning to rip all my 200 cds to flac and just go to some discount store and sell them all. Then I will have a true archive and not have take up an physical space.

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffL
Considering there is no such thing as a corrective codec, this isn't surprising
rolleyes.gif

I assumed that some groups or companies have started to implement corrective measures in their music formats. And from what I read on FLAC and a few others, it seemed that more measures were taken to preserve the source or correct any errors.

But I'm not familiar with audio codecs like that -- I was just trying to shed some light on what I knew about MP3 ^_^

Jan 5, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #22 of 24
What about the XRCD2 format? Does this provide any better source for CD ripping? How do I identity such a CD when shopping?

Jan 5, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by easypeasy
What about the XRCD2 format? Does this provide any better source for CD ripping? How do I identity such a CD when shopping?

XRCDs are regular CDs that are produced with ultra-high-end mastering equipment (you probably can't get much better). If a CD you're buying is an XRCD then it'll probably advertise it very well. Also, XRCDs can be pretty expensive compared to standard CDs.

Jan 5, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #24 of 24
I have several XRCDs. They are expensive but worth it. However, JVC now leases its K2 Laser/Mastering System out to other labels (for instance, there are a whole bunch of K2 albums on the Riverside label) and these only cost the price of a regular CD. They even sell them at Best Buy now. And yes, when you rip from these you will produce some excellent MP3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back