1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Are my tubes about done?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hordsak, Feb 4, 2014.
  1. Hordsak
    I have an original Glow Audio One tube amp, and as far as I know it has the original Chinese tubes.  I think this amp was built around 2009/2010.  I bought the amp used off Craigslist, and I've put probably 1000+ listening hours into.  Lately, the left channel gets the odd crackles and pops.  I've also noticed that the 2 smaller tubes are starting to glow blue at the bottom.  I've read that this means air is inside the tube?  I've attached a picture.  I'm not completely worried, as I should have a WA7 coming in the mail tomorrow, but if it is the tubes giving out I would like to replace them and maybe use this amp at work.  Thanks!

[​IMG]

How do I embed images?

http://imgur.com/wDfyYKG

Edit: I just found out that this amp does have blue LED lights under each tube.  However, I'm not sure how many hours are on the tubes.  I may just look for some cheap replacements.  

2. Spareribs
    It sounds like your tube is becoming microphonic. Tubes can after a while, become microphonic and create unwanted noises. I would replace that tube. Generally tubes last a very long time but don't hesitate to change them if they start acting funny. 

A blue glow tube is not necessarily a bad thing but if it's becoming microphonic or acting weird, out it goes.

By the way, here's a little read about blue glowing tubes.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Blue-Glow

3. Spareribs
    One thing that some people might do is to dampen a microphonic tube with a tube damper. It may or may not work out fully. But keep in mind that a microphonic tube can sound fine with no problems in another tube socket in another amp. It's rare for me to throw away a microphonic tube.

4. MDR30
    Pull out the tubes out, reinsert them a couple of times. Sand the pins if they're oxidized. Works 9 out of... 10 times.