Are my new Turbines fake?
Oct 10, 2012 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nikkojames15

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, so I bought a pair of Turbines on Amazon, and I found something peculiar. According to marketing shots, they have the Monster logo design inside each of the earpiece's "turbine". Somehow, mine has a headphone symbol wrapping around that Monster logo, something the marketing shots don't have. So.. are these duds? They sound good, though.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Show us some pictures

Here you go. Sorry for the crap picture, I had to use my webcam.
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/8qses

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
I can't tell for sure but if you look at other Monster IEMs they all have that headphone thing around the M logo, so maybe you got some kind of newer batch. Better contact Monster for confirmation but my guess is that yours are new versions where they made some changes cosmetically. http://www.monstercable.com/headphones/headphoneslist.asp?catid=400

I hope they're new designs.. It would suck if my first proper IEM is a fake. It seems the ones that have the headphone thing are the higher-end Turbines.. Will contact Monster via e-mail and see what I get.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 13
If you close your eyes and just listen, how do they sound?

If you like/enjoy them... Then do just that.

Enjoy them!

Jim

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
If you close your eyes and just listen, how do they sound?

They sound very much like the Monster Turbines that a friend loaned to me while playing 320 kbps MP3 from an iPhone 3G. I like them, but I haven't tested them on FLAC, and it sucks to pay full price for a counterfeit. Still waiting on Monster's customer support.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 13
There are tons of "fake" Turbine threads on Head-fi.  The consensus is a lot of the box art and art from their website is different than what is actually on some of the headphones.  They all seem to vary quite a bit.  So if they sound good, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 13
My issue is quite different from others.. it has the latest packaging, authentic-looking manuals and the soft case looks authentic as well. Cable is not thin, the red and blue bands are perfectly smooth. Everything shouts "genuine" except for that minor "glitch" that caused that headphone design on the Monster logo to appear on the wrong product.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
There are tons of "fake" Turbine threads on Head-fi.  The consensus is a lot of the box art and art from their website is different than what is actually on some of the headphones.  They all seem to vary quite a bit.  So if they sound good, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

I hope so. It sounds great for the price, and it doesn't look cheap at all. Not much sound-stage though, even after 10 hours of burn-in/break-in.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
My issue is quite different from others.. it has the latest packaging, authentic-looking manuals and the soft case looks authentic as well. Cable is not thin, the red and blue bands are perfectly smooth. Everything shouts "genuine" except for that minor "glitch" that caused that headphone design on the Monster logo to appear on the wrong product.

Let's imagine a scenario when Monster replies to your email and they say that your Turbines aren't fake, but they made a mistake during manufacturing and now you're left with a "rare" Turbines, it would be awesome, wouldn't it? But what the hell am I rambling about here... 
redface.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #13 of 13

Monster replied and my serial number is authentic and unregistered.
biggrin.gif
So.. now what?
Quote:
now you're left with a "rare" Turbines

Probably a manufacturing defect, like you said. There should be a whole batch of these hanging around somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back