Are Minidisc players good for exercising?
Apr 1, 2004 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

vorlik

Head-Fier
I'm looking into an MZ-NH900 when they come out. I have a small collection of music (<2GB) and value battery life and non-skippage. Would this be a good player for me?

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by vorlik
I'm looking into an MZ-NH900 when they come out. I have a small collection of music (<2GB) and value battery life and non-skippage. Would this be a good player for me?

Yup.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 26
I like to exercise with music fairly often and tried PCDP with skip protection. Didn't work well at all. Basically I'd run for 40 seconds and the music in the buffer would play, but once the buffer ran out, I'd have no music since the player wouldn't read the disc while I ran, major disappointment.

Bought a flash player from a friend and the player didn't skip but I found that the sound quality, when I wasn't exercising, wasn't great and it was a major PITA to put new music on it constantly. I found myself listening to the same music all the time. Often I'd grab the player when I was hurrying to the bus stop in the morning and had to listen to the same music for a week due to the puny 64MB of memory. Of course flash is much cheaper now and you could get a player with quite a bit more memory these days.

Bought an MD and I've been very satisfied. I've run hundreds of miles since I got mine last year and I haven't had a single skip. Sound quality is pretty nice when I'm not exercising, although I have an iPod now for listening when I'm not exercising.

If you're going to run, then I highly recommend going to www.tunebelt.com and buying the MD belt.

Unfortunately HI-MD looks like it's going to be delayed a while. It might be a month or more before you can buy one.

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 26
Viciously shaking it? Lol... anything you do that with that has moving parts will suffer extremely from that. Probably offroad motorbiking would be the closest you would get to shaking the thing up and down as fast as you can. (sticking the thing in a laundry dryer is pure abuse and torture)

Flash players out now don't have the crappy sound qualiity that watchdog is talking about.. and yes, although they have dropped prices, flash is still hella expensive. Good for exercising, if you don't really want to carry an MD player with you (small as it is, it still has some weight)

But these are minor things... an MD player should satisfy you for more than just exercising.

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Sczervok
Viciously shaking it? Lol... anything you do that with that has moving parts will suffer extremely from that. Probably offroad motorbiking would be the closest you would get to shaking the thing up and down as fast as you can. (sticking the thing in a laundry dryer is pure abuse and torture)

Flash players out now don't have the crappy sound qualiity that watchdog is talking about.. and yes, although they have dropped prices, flash is still hella expensive. Good for exercising, if you don't really want to carry an MD player with you (small as it is, it still has some weight)

But these are minor things... an MD player should satisfy you for more than just exercising.

The flash player I had was quite old, I'd say it was purchased around 99 or 2000, can't quite remember as I bought it used from a friend. The FM tuner sucked tremendously as well.

Laundry dryer??? My god, who would ever want to subject their equipment to that!!!

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 26
Sometimes you forget to clean out your pockets... I've done that hella times with various types of objects in my pockets. Usually money... and that really sucks. (wet dollar bills)

Electronic devices usually are large enough so that I know I have one in my pocket.. but due to extreme heat, cold, water, and rotation, I doubt anything would survive that. (I've come close to leaving some expensive stuff in my pockets... dear lord I took it out before I dumped it in there)

Sony has that one mutant looking MD player that's just huge... but I think I read it's shock and water proof...

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 26
Flash players for me. Mine pretty much went thru a lot of abuse - trail running, marathon, rowing, etc.- and it's till ticking and no skipping.

The weight and bulkiness of the Minidisc just doesn't do it for me.

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 26
I know the model you're talking about but shockproof only goes so far. I can't see it surviving a session in a dryer. Of course, I'm sure someone will come here and say, I accidently put my S1 in the dryer and it still works ......

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
I know the model you're talking about but shockproof only goes so far. I can't see it surviving a session in a dryer. Of course, I'm sure someone will come here and say, I accidently put my S1 in the dryer and it still works ......

I didn't do that, but I threw mine about 20 feet onto a concrete floor if that means anything...lol
tongue.gif
, S1 users unite...haha
600smile.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #14 of 26
Contrary to what people think, the MZ-S1 is not huge, by any means. It's actually rather compact, but, by comparing to an MZ-E10, it is big.

I would advise against putting it in a dryer, though.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back