1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Are Koss ESP950 Electrostatic any good?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by djamtrax, Apr 12, 2011.
  1. DjAmTraX
    I kinda like to try it.  Anyone has experience with it?

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^es^ESP950

ESP950_1.jpg

2. desktophifi
    Here's an interesting thread about em. Good stuff. 

3. FrankCooter
    I own a pair. The build quality is terrible. The supplied "energizer" is a joke. Almost all of them have the famous Koss "squeal" at some time in their life. But in spite of all its faults, the ESP950 is a surprisingly good headphone. Much fuller and richer sound than the Stax lambdas. Sort of like a baby of the original Omega. I greatly prefer them to my SR-303's.

As bad as the build problems are, the Koss warranty policy is outstanding. They have an unlimited "no questions asked" warranty that goes with the headphones even after resale. I bought mine used and have sent them back twice in the last two years. Got brand new drivers for free both times.

They definitely deserve a listen. Used pairs usually go for about $400. DIY an amp like the KGSSHV or even an EXSTATA and you'll have a "poor mans" electrostatic system that will run circles around all but the best dynamic systems.

4. Anaxilus

Quote:

x2.  Got them for a great price.  Still figuring out my end game energizer.  Spritzer gave me some advice I intend to look into when I cross that bridge. Running DACPort pre-amped to E90 currently.  Headphones are not a top priority for me atm so I'm getting by fine w/ the stock E90.  Only a personally modded T50RP Thunderpants represents a better value IMO.  Here is an article that I find quite useful in a number of ways around here.  There is just something about having Lifetime warranty on a set of Electrostats too.

http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/koss_esp950_electrostatic_stereophones/index.html  

5. DjAmTraX
    poor build quality is a deal breaker for me.  Although the warranty is great, you still have to pay shipping and loss of use.  Too bad...

6. Anaxilus

Quote:

Well, the materials are cheap but I think I can differentiate that from poor build quality.  For example, the ESP950 has cheaper feeling materials than say the Sennheiser HD555/558/595/598.  However, the ESP950 has a better design and build than those Sennheisers wrt long term durability.  If that makes any sense.  Basically I can use them as much as I want and never feel like they are going to break or fail like the Senns.