are high levels of distortion damaging to headphones
Mar 31, 2006 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mplee79

100+ Head-Fier
I was burning in my new hd650s overnight. I woke up and put on the headphones and for some reason or another, there was significant distortion (busted cd?) causing crackling noises. I quickly shut the power supply off and plugged the headphones back into my computer and the crackling noises stopped. I guess what i'm asking is if it could it be possible that I may have damaged the headphones. They were running from a pcdp and a pa2v2. They sound different, a little worse than they did last night when they come into complex passages of music (it may just be in my head).

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mplee79
They sound different, a little worse than they did last night when they come into complex passages of music (it may just be in my head).

It is just in your head. Trust me if you damaged them it would be rather obvious when listening to them.

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mplee79
I was burning in my new hd650s overnight. I woke up and put on the headphones and for some reason or another, there was significant distortion (busted cd?) causing crackling noises. I quickly shut the power supply off and plugged the headphones back into my computer and the crackling noises stopped. I guess what i'm asking is if it could it be possible that I may have damaged the headphones. They were running from a pcdp and a pa2v2. They sound different, a little worse than they did last night when they come into complex passages of music (it may just be in my head).

Hey there,

This is why it is always a good idea to know the cond of the material you are using to burn gear in, and a perfect excuse to frequently monitor the progress. That should not have caused any damage to the drivers, you would hear it if it had, make sure the cable does not get clamped or shorted whilest the burning occurs!!
For those Senns, anything including some roaring symphonies to some chill chamber pieces will calm those puppies right down!! Believe it our not some great jazz music I understand makes for some good hifi calisthenics for your Senn's and other high imp hp's.
If you have "For Duke", the 20 bit mastered 24kt gold disc by Bill Berry and the Ellington All stars, run it on repeater for like 30 hours..
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 7
Hey, I have about 48 hours on my HD 650's. I have been using Jill Scott's 1st cd to do the honors (though i started out with a different cd) since it has good bass, mids, highs, and seems to be recorded very well.

Listen to all the songs and make sure that there is no distortion or clipping. I am using Foobar to play this CD and if a song would be too loud, I would just delete the song from the playlist and foobar would skip right over it.

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
You've ruined your 650s. They're now junk. Send them to me, maybe I can find some use for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

LMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back