are high end iems comparable to high end headphones (including electrostatic) in resolving power?
Sep 3, 2009 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Antony6555

500+ Head-Fier
I am posting this thread because I have heard several times that the er-4S is the most revealing iem. However, when I compared it to my lambda pros, there was no comparison. The difference was night and day.

I was surprised and my first thought was "If the er-4S are the most resolving iems, then iems have a long way to go." So, are the er-4S the most resolving iems? And if not, what would you consider the most resolving iems, including both universal and custom?

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 15
For universal, you could also try RE0 if you have the chance.

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 15
I think there are quite few IEMs but only two are strong contender for the most resloving universal IEMs. ATH_CK100 and UM3x are very resolving with great highs, mids and bass.

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For universal, you could also try RE0 if you have the chance.

I'm not really looking for specific suggestions for what to buy (I changed the title so it would be more clear.) I'm interested in the more general question if, in this day when some prefer the top iems to full-size phones, iems can match full-size phones in detail.

But would you consider the REO to be higher resolving than the er-4S?

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 15
From what I've gleaned, but not actually experienced since my JH13 pro's won't arrive for a week or two and I've only had a 15 minute demo, they meet/exceed the very best of phones in detail. The isolation is a definite plus here, plus the dual driver design allows for better transient response and super low distortion; they also don't have to overcome HRTF because they "inject" the sound directly into your ears. Generally speaking, high speed and low distortion correlate strongly with detail.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 15
JH13's are definitely comprable to and better in resolution than many other full sized headphones. Some have noted them even besting stax systems.

I should note I'm going by directly quoted statements of other reviewers.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 15
Details wise JH13 is an all rounder in terms of bass, mids and highs and definite comparable to or even win high end headphones. Omega 2 is always compared with JH13.

But I still use my CD900ST for analysing mids and highs because the bass doesnt interfere with the mids and highs. I use JH13 for bass analysis.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by behwatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Details wise JH13 is an all rounder in terms of bass, mids and highs and definite comparable to or even win high end headphones. Omega 2 is always compared with JH13.

But I still use my CD900ST for analysing mids and highs because the bass doesnt interfere with the mids and highs. I use JH13 for bass analysis.

So the bass colors the mids and highs on the jh-13?

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 15
None of my iems can touch my full size headphones.

Some of the top iems may be able to come close to full size cans, but I don't think it's as cost effective as full size. Then again I can only speak for the gear I have with certainty.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

not really. he is trying to say the bass in JH13 is more prominent compared to his CD900st. whereas CD900st does not really have lows, so he could focus more on the high and mids in recording.

Sep 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not really. he is trying to say the bass in JH13 is more prominent compared to his CD900st. whereas CD900st does not really have lows, so he could focus more on the high and mids in recording.

Yup thanks for answering for me
smily_headphones1.gif

JH13 is balanced whereas CD900st is brighter.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

well I dont have much experience with electrostatic headphones, but I have heard most-all the top tier dynamic headphones HD600, HD650, ED9, HD800, CD3000, W5000 woodied/recabled D2000 and own HD600 and the woody D2000 and my JH13 beats them for detail without breaking a sweat, only one that was a close call was HD800. I heard these out of a dual mono buffalo32->beta22 combo at a HF meet recently, but only under meet conditions, my JH13 did not in anyway sound a let down after this and detail was one area that I still think they are superior even out of that rig

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

nope, not IMO. the JH13 are pretty balanced, but do have just a tiny sub-bass emphasis, you might think that this might mean coloration; and with many headphones you would be right, but not these babies. they have 2 drivers for each band, and they are fast enough that it does not bleed or effect their ability to resolve detail in all frequencies. it just means they have awesome slam

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of my iems can touch my full size headphones.

Some of the top iems may be able to come close to full size cans, but I don't think it's as cost effective as full size. Then again I can only speak for the gear I have with certainty.

well its time for you to try some customs then
wink.gif
you know you want to
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Yup thanks for answering for me
smily_headphones1.gif

JH13 is balanced whereas CD900st is brighter.

X2 on them being balanced (maybe just a tiny smidge more sub-bass), havent heard the CD900st though; so cant comment on the comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back