Are hifiman anandas any good for a bass head?
May 24, 2020 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

PrincessLeliana

500+ Head-Fier
So I have been pushed by several people in my personal circle to get these, over anything else. However my only worry is that they aren't very bassy, I like bass focused headphones that let me physically feel the thump of the drums, and don't know if these can live up to that.

Thoughts?

May 24, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 20
For a bass head, you are better off with Audeze, which are planars too. Audeze headphones have a tendency to sound warm, some, like the LCD-2 even sound somewhat dark. That being said, i don't have any experience with Hifiman, but I do own an LCD-4. It has a lovely warm sound, not dark and as their flagship is very revealing. It doesn't lack in details at all, like some people tend to think of Audeze.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 20
For a bass head, you are better off with Audeze, which are planars too. Audeze headphones have a tendency to sound warm, some, like the LCD-2 even sound somewhat dark. That being said, i don't have any experience with Hifiman, but I do own an LCD-4. It has a lovely warm sound, not dark and as their flagship is very revealing. It doesn't lack in details at all, like some people tend to think of Audeze.
Can't afford the audeze unfortunately. my budget is $400 max, was gonna get campfire cascades for a lil over that, then these anandas are 500, audese are a solid 600 and I just cant stretch that fair. Wish I had infinite money or access to somewhere to test things, shopping is causing me so much stress

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 20
@PrincessLeliana, from what I read in several reviews, the Ananda is a good headphone too, slightly warm as well. I'd imagine that they would suit you well, certainly when paired with a somewhat warmer amp. Perhaps it would be wiser to consider saving up from a month or two and get a better headphone after that. That is ultimately your decision to make of course.

May 24, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 20
@PrincessLeliana, what I gather from reviews is that the Cascade is a warmer headphone then the Ananda, so in that sense, it would probably suit a bass head better. The Cascade is built like a tank as well, while Hifimans build quality has been and might still be questionable. Knowing that the cascade is a higher end headphone, they are probably more detailed too. Nonetheless, I'd suggest waiting for more advice from other users before you bite the bullet.

May 24, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 20
@PrincessLeliana, what I gather from reviews is that the Cascade is a warmer headphone then the Ananda, so in the sense, it would probably suit a bass head better. The Cascade is built like a tank as well, while Hifimans build quality has been and might still be questionable. Knowing that the cascade is a higher end headphone, they are probably more detailed too. Nonetheless, I'd suggest waiting for more advice from other users before you bite the bullet.
Other users pushed me for cascades over the TR-X00s, then, after i settled on that and found a seller, people started saying anandas. ;w; it's so confusing

May 24, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 20
Other users pushed me for cascades over the TR-X00s, then, after i settled on that and found a seller, people started saying anandas. ;w; it's so confusing

And to make it even more confusing (sorry lol), the Ananda is a open back headphone, while the Cascade is closed back. That means that the Cascade will sound less airy then the Ananda, while the Ananda is airier but with a bit less bass then the Cascades. For your case, I lean towards recommending the Cascade over Ananda. In the long run, you are going to be more satisfied with them, as they are more resolving. That makes you less likely to want to upgrade again.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 20
And to make it even more confusing (sorry lol), the Ananda is a open back headphone, while the Cascade is closed back. That means that the Cascade will sound less airy then the Ananda, while the Ananda is airier but with a bit less bass then the Cascades. For your case, I lean towards recommending the Cascade over Ananda.
I could not care less than open or closed, to be honest. In fact its a point for the cascades, I can take them on the train

May 24, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 20
@PrincessLeliana, well then, looks you have made up your mind.:wink: If you are able, audition them both before deciding.
Can't unfortunately.

And I had made up my mind, but i have 4 people spamming me on discord going NOOO GET THE ANANDAS haha

May 24, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 20
@PrincessLeliana, Yeah that doesn't help of course. Trust me, get the higher end headphone, you will be more satisfied with it for longer. Saves you money in the end.
I thought the ananda was the higher end headphone? Also the cascades have a broken cup holder, so you can pull the cup off ^^ Its not perfect con

May 24, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 20
Well, the Ananda is a very good headphone, with great linearity and soundstage and overall sound. Bass digs deep, but is not the most impactful. You will get great clean and textured sub bass, but i would not call it a basshead headphone.

It’s more neutrally tuned, and is a better overall headphone than cascade because nothing is emphasized.

Dynamic drivers tend to have more punch whereas planars have more rumble.

May 24, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #15 of 20
Well, the Ananda is a very good headphone, with great linearity and soundstage and overall sound. Bass digs deep, but is not the most impactful. You will get great clean and textured sub bass, but i would not call it a basshead headphone.

It’s more neutrally tuned, and is a better overall headphone than cascade because nothing is emphasized.

Dynamic drivers tend to have more punch whereas planars have more rumble.
What would you recommend then? Pay more for the anandas? Or pay less for the cascades, but have to deal with repairing them? (or not, i dont really care about the fault)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back