Are Grados suited for Classical?
Aug 6, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, not exactly the best cd to test with. The Nora Jones discs are notoriously hot and pitchy up top. I can't listen to them on anything.

I found them rather warm sounding, not bright in the least. Of course, the LP's are the source to have for NJ. Only problem I had with NJ was some digital clipping on Come Away With Me.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #48 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, not exactly the best cd to test with. The Nora Jones discs are notoriously hot and pitchy up top. I can't listen to them on anything. No need to target the 225's on that issue.

I was waiting for someone to mention that; her first album isn't too bad, other than the horrible piano tone and overly hot production. Unfortunately they go downhill from there and become tiring to listen to on just about everything.

Quote:

As for "classical" depending on the actual genre, concerto, ensemble, symphony etc...different headphones do excel in different areas.

Personally I find the RS-1's do the best at violin and cello solos and duets and are a strong contender for small chamber works and ensembles, but the R10's with their added space take small string works in my opinion. Though I prefer the tone and timbre of the RS-1's, the R10's best them in speed, articulation and space which is really nice. For this reason alone I'd plunk down the cash on the R10's.

The GS-1000's (haven't heard the K1000's) are my choice for large scale works. No other headphone I've heard touches them in wide open spaciousness. Combined with their speed and articulation and one can in a headphone world, extrapolate reasonably well what the sound might be like live. Speakers of course win out for anything on this scale.

It comes down to a matter of priorities, I value tone & resolution above the ability to create a large soundstage so I tend to favour Grados even with classical music. Even with large symphonic works I'd prefer my RS-1 to any of the current production Senns, AKGs, and Beyers, I find them lacking in conveying the mood & emotion of the music. The magical tone and low-level details which make the music whole and emotional are mostly lost, and without emotion, there's little point to the music.

The magic of tone is something which is mostly lost in today's hi-fi gear, and unfortunately headphones seem to be headed in that direction as well.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #49 of 66
Grados for classical? I think it really depends on what you want in musical reproduction through a headphone.
I usually listen to all classical genres from solo through to big orchestral stuff on Grados (HP-2, MS-Pro or PS-1) and don't miss a thing. For me it's more about the proper reproduction of the timbre of the respective instruments and the Grados I use just get that right (and I know what i'm talking about as I - have to - listen to classical live music almost every day...).
Soundstage isn't that important to me though - I just want to be able to hear everything in the mix - for me these Grados work just fine in that respect.
Even when I switch over to the HD-650 or K-701 I don't think these work better - just different.
I even know people who are really into classical only and who do use a SR-125 and are quite happy with the results.
So: Grados and classical? Why not? For me: YES!
rs1smile.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #50 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the GS1000 is a better headphone for classical than the RS-1, but the RS-1 isn't shabby. I don't think the RS-1 could possibly to large orchestra stuff, or choirs remotely accurately... but It does wonderfully with string quartets and organs (I was totally shocked by how damn good it sounded with the organ). Overall, however, I wouldn't replace the HD650 with the RS-1 as my main classical can.

I just got the GS1000 and have heard some classical with it and I'm pretty happy with it. I have the AKG 701s and they do well for classical as well. I'm a Grado fan and the GS1000s has that Grado signature (not the upfront presentation, but the sound). The RS1s are okay, but I wouldn't recommend them for classical since it's more upfront, it has a harder time IMHO to separate the instruments.
rs1smile.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados for classical? I think it really depends on what you want in musical reproduction through a headphone.
I usually listen to all classical genres from solo through to big orchestral stuff on Grados (HP-2, MS-Pro or PS-1) and don't miss a thing. For me it's more about the proper reproduction of the timbre of the respective instruments and the Grados I use just get that right (and I know what i'm talking about as I - have to - listen to classical live music almost every day...).
Soundstage isn't that important to me though - I just want to be able to hear everything in the mix - for me these Grados work just fine in that respect.
Even when I switch over to the HD-650 or K-701 I don't think these work better - just different.
I even know people who are really into classical only and who do use a SR-125 and are quite happy with the results.
rs1smile.gif

That's what i think exactly also. I mean i must tell you that i like classical "even" with SR-60.... If you can belive it i like better what sr-60 has to offer in classical than the HD580, but i like it less than the K501. But hey, SR-60 is the entry level from what Grado has to offer. That's why i just ordered a pair of SR-325i... AKG excels with classical, but its just not involving enough for me, and also i concur what you have stated thinking that even sr-60 reproduces a more realistic instrument timbre than the AKG's...
So...GO GO Grado!
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #52 of 66
AKG 501/601/701, don't kid yourselves w/ classical + grado. They just don't work as well as the AKG cans.

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #53 of 66
In general Grados don't do "Classical" music very well. The exception to that is the GS1000, but then they are the most "Sennheiser like" of the Grado headphones.

- augustwest

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #54 of 66
So, to summarize this thread:

1. Grados are not well suited for classical.
2. Grados are fine for classical.
3. GS1000s are good for classical where RS-1s and down are not.
4. Except for the SR-60s, 125s, and RS-1s, which are also fine.

Well, it has clearly become apparent that the classical reproduction is strictly a matter of taste, even between otherwise fans of Grado. Go have a listen, if you can. If not, then buy used so that you can resell after demoing! Enjoy!

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #55 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so is the GS1000 the bizarro RS1.

71cfb76c4a8ad7e67283d8a3387ff21a.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the HP1000 is the only Grado that is acceptable with orchestral works [can't speak to GS1000 as I only briefly heard the prototype]. All others are too wooly in the bass. When it comes to classical music, it is most important for me to have bass that is balanced with the rest of the spectrum. The HP1000 is very well balanced, but I still prefer a can with a larger headstage.

Agreed. I find the HP2 wonderful for classical, most specifically with piano and violin concertos. It has enough air and soundstage to pull it off, couple this with the HP2's excellent tonality and it is clearly a classical winner.

I found the GS-1000 to be wildly inappropriate for classical. I repeat, wildly inappropriate. Fantastic soundstage and bass, but waaay to shrill.

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #56 of 66
Interesting--I'm in sort of the same situation, and I find my Grados fine, for the same reasons, but the trend was so strong in the other direction that I wasn't speaking up. I'm much less concerned about soundstage than the way the instruments themselves sound. I didn't even know about soundstage until I started reading audio forums, where it seems to be higher on the list than almost anything else, strangely to me. (You folks who are into soundstage do know that in virtually *all* pop recording and a lot of classical recording "soundstage" is completely artificial, right?)

Regarding phones being shrill--reading these threads, I often wonder how much age has to do with it. I've been trying to figure out, and I think that a very large proportion of the population of this board is very young (under 25). My experience selling violins is that below that age players, by a very large margin, prefer violins which are much too dark, and after 25 or so often they end up trading into something brighter. Similarly, on my CTA train rides, it's usually younger folks who plug their ears when the train wheels start shrieking. I've always suspected that it's related to the hearing mechanism aging, not simply personal preferance.

I don't find Grados harsh at all in a bad way (*especially* when amped with a good amp); though I do understand that they have a prominent bright side compared to some other phones, I don't find it offensive or particularly unnatural as much as I do too much bass, which seems a more common defect in the headphone world that gets very little complaint in headphone discussions here. (Another age-related issue???)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rs1smile.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #58 of 66
in its June issue the most reputable French classical music magazine (Diapason) had a review of 11 top-drawer cans in the Euro 250-400 price range. All the usual suspects were there (AKG, Beiers, Senns), plus some unusual one (Koss). What really surprised me is that the reviewer obviously considered the Grado SR325i the best phones for classical: he spoke of rare musicality, fresh and natural mids of exceptional sensuality (this was a French review after all
wink.gif
). Instruments texture and grain(?) was the best among the cans tested. After the usual words of caution about slightly dominant highs and about the comfort (or lack thereof), the reviewer concluded saying that the SR325i were "Une révélation".
He sure made me curious about trying the SR325i on my rig...

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #59 of 66
I always liked my MS2 better than the RS1 for classical
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
. Classical gets maybe 10% of my listening time, so I sold the ms2.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #60 of 66
In addition of Mdarnton statement about the artificial soundstage of headphones like Senn and AKG, i must honestly say that i feel the same. Headphones try to replicate the sound schematics from a concert hall, but all they can do is to trick you in the best way they can... So far i find that AKG do the best job at that. But the soundstage provided this way in my opinion comes with the cost of a somewhat hollow sound, that sucks in the natural timbre and force of the instruments. So i found my self many times preffering the headstage of sr-60 and the force of the presentation to the halolw and unrealistic hd580, and now almost even K501( although K501 is very strong in many areas, but now reffering only to soundstage advantages and disadvantages).
So it comes down to personal tastes. I'm sure many would disagree with me, but its only natural to be so, because musical tastes are subjective by nature. Very soon, a 325i is coming over. If it will offer me a better sr-60 with fuller sound and a tad of soundstage, i'm sure it will be a keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back