Are ETYs waterproof?
Jul 10, 2002 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
hopefully an easy answer question here...

I was wearing my ER4Ps on the way home earlier, and there was a massive rain-storm... I didn't remove the ETYs and the music kept on playing sweetly... but, is this advisable on a long-term basis?

The last thing I'd want to do is blow them up, and I can't seem to find anything either here, or on the Etymotic website to confirm, or deny my question...

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 9
the idea is that they are sealed. they even makes a hole in the diaphragm cause the back is closed. I bet the only opening is the one where the sound comes out of. should be near air-tight when in your ears. wouldn't swim with em if I were you tho
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks Braver... I didn't know that there was a hole in the diaphragm
smily_headphones1.gif

But, I was wondering more along the lines of where the blue, and red connectors join up with the driver 'tube'... these connectors are interchangeable, hence ~ i'd have thought a potential weak point when it comes to water...

but, your response is quite reassuring nonetheless
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 9
The drivers are potted in expoxy. No water is going to get to them except through the little tube.

The contacts that connect the cable to the black driver module grip pretty damn hard, so I assume they form a gastight seal. However, you do have some risk (I think) of water getting in to the contact area and corroding something, unless it's all gold plated. And having never taken the cables off my Etys, I don't know about the last bit.

Jul 10, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 9
The default Ety connectors are indeed gold-plated. As are the Fix-up cord replacements.

Treat Ety's like a cheap watch that claims to be waterproof. I wouldn't exactly go deep sea diving with them...but for rain it should keep ticking for sure.

Jul 11, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 9
if the filter gets wet or moist you will think that one or both drivers are dead. that happened to me and replacing the filter brought me and the ety's back to life.

Jul 11, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks everyone
biggrin.gif

at least I should now feel a lot more secure, wearing them in the rain
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure that i'll ever wear them in the shower though...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back