Are DIY CD or SACD players possible?
Oct 9, 2009 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TwinFinnley

100+ Head-Fier
I have been thinking about this for a long time, but always afraid to ask the question, but would it be terribly hard to make a cd player? I suppose the hardest parts to source would be the motor, laser, and laser track, but the rest should be fairly simple. Threads like this LCDuino one have really got me thinking about this and how possible it could/should be. Maybe I'm just a dreamer, but I would love discussion or ideas for this. Looking at this CD player also has me dreaming of DIY, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it: here found here(I'll remove the links if its a forum faux pas)

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 12
You might have trouble with sacd because of the licensing. As far as I know, there aren't any DACs that support the format because of the required license fee.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 12
I do not see why not.
As long as you have the required skills, access to parts and money for paying for parts and license fees.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might have trouble with sacd because of the licensing. As far as I know, there aren't any DACs that support the format because of the required license fee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not see why not.
As long as you have the required skills, access to parts and money for paying for parts and license fees.

Please forgive my ignorance, but why do you need to pay a license fee if you are just making a player for yourself and not for distribution? Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to break the law, I just want to understand it to avoid asking dumb questions again
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFinnley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please forgive my ignorance, but why do you need to pay a license fee if you are just making a player for yourself and not for distribution? Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to break the law, I just want to understand it to avoid asking dumb questions again
smily_headphones1.gif

Because Sony has the IP on SACD locked up tight. Every disc is encrypted and you need a license and a key to decrypt it. There are a few other hoops to jump through, as well. Any attempt to circumvent this would probaby result in a DMCA violation.

Generally, you're not supposed to make a one-off for yourself. The prohibition doesn't necessarily apply only to commercial goods.

My guess is that Sony would be none too happy about attempts to circumvent SACD - it's one format that still hasn't been cracked.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFinnley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Because SACD's are encrypted, and to get access to the key (decrypter) you need to pay license fee to Sony (and Phillips?) who own the copyright.
Super Audio CD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: Too late..
redface.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 12
Oct 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because Sony has the IP on SACD locked up tight. Every disc is encrypted and you need a license and a key to decrypt it. There are a few other hoops to jump through, as well. Any attempt to circumvent this would probaby result in a DMCA violation.

that's why I entirely boycott this format along with blu-ray and any other that is 'locked up tight'.

such things are anti-consumer to their very core. no audio is worth selling your soul for (so to speak).

I wish people would STOP patronizing locked-down things like this. we DO vote with our dollars, you know. the more you buy into DRM the more you tell them 'its ok'.

and, its not ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back