Are custom sleeves really worth the money?
Jul 19, 2009 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Apple254

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Denon C751's and I was simply wondering if the £90 it would cost me to get the moulds done would actually make a significant difference to the comfort of the earphones and obviously the sound quality also? If not I think I will purchase some IE8's but thats a lot of money for a sixteen year old
darthsmile.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple254 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Denon C751's and I was simply wondering if the £90 it would cost me to get the moulds done would actually make a significant difference to the comfort of the earphones and obviously the sound quality also? If not I think I will purchase some IE8's but thats a lot of money for a sixteen year old
darthsmile.gif

IMO, custom molds are worth the money. I really enjoy mine. They are very comfortable and help the bass and treble extension. But they are worth it if, and only if, the earphones you buy them for are good to start with. They won't turn crappy earphones into good earphones. What they will do is take something that already sounds good, and give you that last 10% that they are capable of. But polishing a turd will just give you a shinier turd.

BTW, I'm not implying that the Denon C751's are bad. I haven't heard them. I'm just saying that if you are trying to fix something that you don't like by buying custom molds, it may be a waste of money. If you do like them and think that custom molds will make them better, you're probably right.

The other thing to consider is that custom molds for one earphone won't necessarily fit a different one (Similar models by the same manufacturer are usually interchangeable. Note that even if the size of the hole is the same, the placement of the sound tube may affect comfort. So you're always best off buying for a particular model.). If you buy molds for the Denon and decide to upgrade to a different earphone later, you may be out the money that the molds cost.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, custom molds are worth the money. I really enjoy mine. They are very comfortable and help the bass and treble extension. But they are worth it if, and only if, the earphones you buy them for are good to start with. They won't turn crappy earphones into good earphones. What they will do is take something that already sounds good, and give you that last 10% that they are capable of. But polishing a turd will just give you a shinier turd.

BTW, I'm not implying that the Denon C751's are bad. I haven't heard them. I'm just saying that if you are trying to fix something that you don't like by buying custom molds, it may be a waste of money. If you do like them and think that custom molds will make them better, you're probably right.

The other thing to consider is that custom molds for one earphone won't necessarily fit a different one (Similar models by the same manufacturer are usually interchangeable. Note that even if the size of the hole is the same, the placement of the sound tube may affect comfort. So you're always best off buying for a particular model.). If you buy molds for the Denon and decide to upgrade to a different earphone later, you may be out the money that the molds cost.

The UM56 are interchangeable between more than a few manufacturers.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM56 are interchangeable between more than a few manufacturers.

It um56 can fit UE and Westone both, I jump on it long time ago.............

BTW, please go to IE8 instead of molding denon c751. Custom tip for me is only worth if investing at flagship IEM you like it very much

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 7
IMO; it would improve the sound of any headphone but only by the margin of quality that the headphone is currently putting out. If you are using them on some say....ER-4Ps, the quality increase is going to greatly rise as opposed to the apple IEMs.

Look into the total cost of what you're paying and see if that is something you want to spend money on as opposed to upgrading your equipment.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Yer what most of you are saying is what I was thinking, I love the Denon's so much, but that is only because they are the only 'hifi' earphones I have heard. There is nothing wrong with the comfort or sound quality I was just wondering if it would make a significant difference to sound quality to be honest. Obviously it wouldn't magically make them sound as good as IE8's but then again there is a price difference that is close to £100 between custom sleeves and IE8's :p. Will probably just wait until Christmas to get some IE8's...Thanks for the help though everybody
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back