Are CIEM reshell and upgrades worth it
Oct 20, 2016 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sean Adler

New Head-Fier
I'm considering sending my Alclair Reference to Null Audio for a re-shell and upgrade to an 8-driver model. The total cost would be around $600. I like my Alclair's but the build quality wasn't as great as my IE80 re-shell from Unique Melody and I want to improve the sound as much as possible without having to buy new customs. Any thoughts?

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 5
If they aren't fitting well, then, yes, a reshell is not only worth it, it's sort of necessary. Nothing hurts the sound of a CIEM worse than an imperfect seal.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks. My main concern is whether or not the increased number of drivers will make the sound that much better. I've read that upgraded CIEMs aren't as good as a new pair altogether, but I haven't heard anything about the engineering that would validate that statement. I want to try and make sure I'm making the right call with my money. If I just wanted to do a re-shell, I'd have it done in the states.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 5
My philosophy is this: Don't give me more drivers unless you're going to re-tune the entire set so they come together in artistic majesty.

Don't think about it in only engineering terms. That's merely the first half of the equation.

If all they're doing is adding another driver to the bass, or another driver to the treble, that's hackery. I want masters of their craft, who understand when you add something, it effects the whole balance. Re-tune. Re-balance everything. Forge a new whole.

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm kind of new to the re-shell/upgrade game except for my old IE80s. They say they re-tune them to a neutral sound signature and alter the crossover, but I'm still waiting for my IE80x3 to come back as an IE80x5 so I'm not sure about how they'll turn out. Do you think the money would be best spent on a new pair or that the $600 would be best spent on the upgrade to 8 drivers. I have doubts I'll get anything over 4 or 5 drivers for $600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back