Are boostaroo amps worth it?
Nov 28, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 13
A friend of mine had one and I tried it out. I did not think that it sounded very good. It was loud, but rough. I think you would be much better off buying a good starter amp from someone upgrading their system. Lots of them to be found in the for sale forum.

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 13
The Boosteroo does exactly what its supposed to do.
It allows more than one person to listen to a source with headphones. Its not really a headphone amp.
It is clear and really doesnt do much to the sound ,good or bad actually. Its a splitter mostly. For the price its ok,but it wont do what a headphone amp does.
Also,it wont drive high impedance headphones.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 13
I own a Boostaroo Revolution (as a starter amp, on my way to "Head-Fi Heaven"), and it seems to amplify both my MDR-NC60 (40 ohms w/ NC on, 100 ohms with it off) and D777SL (24 ohms) cans pretty good, I almost have to turn my MZ-NH700 down from 20 (my normal passive setting with EX90SL/EX85SL) to 12-15 while using them, it really is a game saver (and battery and unit saver too), sans the "3D surround" action on it, and I will soon, after doing more research looking for a stick-style headphone amp, get a better, non-surround sound version of it. Plus, the Revolution is made right here in the U.S.A., while the basic one is not (it is imported), so you know you are getting a good product with great service to go with it. However it is not recommended if you own any cans/IEM's under 24 ohms, even if your unit is only 5 mW per channel like mine.

As for the original Boostaroo, I looked at it, and was thinking of it, but I agree it is a piece of garbage, in fact they also make one (of those not the Revolution) under the Radio Shack banner as well.

Dec 20, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is crap. No polite way to say it.

Yeap. And I find mine hissing badly too. But it does allow 6 people to listen to the same generic $20 mp3 player with one $3 earbud each. For that it's rather good.

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 13
Man have I got a bit to learn about the Head-Fi world. Thanks for the advice.

Like I said, it was only a starter unit. I do plan to upgrade as soon as I find a stick-style (preferably a clip-on) amp to replace it. Any I deas on an amp less than $150 USD and (Energizer) AA(A)(A) or 9v battery-powered (I hate rechargeables, especially embedded ones
mad.gif
!!!) guys? You ae the experts, I leave it up to you guys.

Thanks,

Ray Jackson
Head-Fi/MDCF/AtracLife/T-Board user ID: BIGHMW

Dec 23, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 13
[size=x-small]True audiophiles won't want to leave home without the Boostaroo Revolution, so HELL YEAH[/size]

Dec 23, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man have I got a bit to learn about the Head-Fi world. Thanks for the advice.

Like I said, it was only a starter unit. I do plan to upgrade as soon as I find a stick-style (preferably a clip-on) amp to replace it. Any I deas on an amp less than $150 USD and (Energizer) AA(A)(A) or 9v battery-powered (I hate rechargeables, especially embedded ones
mad.gif
!!!) guys?
You ae the experts, I leave it up to you guys.

Thanks,

Ray Jackson
Head-Fi/MDCF/AtracLife/T-Board user ID: BIGHMW

I guess you have only one option, which is the xin supermicro, it's not clip on but it is really small
biggrin.gif
One thing though, if you order one you will need the patience of a saint, because from what I've read, it can take up to half a year for it to be built and shipped
eek.gif
eek.gif

you'll find the amp here:
Cool Stuff

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #13 of 13
Why not do what everybody else is doing? Buy a FiiO E7 or E17. Although it has a rechargeable battery pack, you CAN take it out and replace it. It's small, bonds to your device with a provided silicone band. I have a Boostaroo Revolution. I used the provided set of batteries, and when they died, I tossed it. The replacement batteries alone cost more than the Boostaroo, being a weird AAA with nibs on both ends... so regular AAA's are too short. Very very bad business decision for Boostaroo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back